Old 08-04-2006, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul

Default potato yield

just been to look at the seed potatoes that are currently chitting and
decided that I don't have enough ground to plant them all plus the other
things I want to grow. so what I am after is a rough estimate on the yield
per seed potato for rocket and maris piper, then I can guestimate how many
plants I will need. hope this makes sense.

paul.

Old 08-04-2006, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Paul" contains these words:

just been to look at the seed potatoes that are currently chitting and
decided that I don't have enough ground to plant them all plus the other
things I want to grow. so what I am after is a rough estimate on the
yield
per seed potato for rocket and maris piper, then I can guestimate how
many
plants I will need.

That depends how they are grown. Spuds given plenty of space in very
fertile ground and ideal growing conditions, will produce a higher yield
than those grown in more crowded conditions.

But does it really matter if, from the same area, 10 spaced out
plants produce 20 spuds each (total 200) or 20 crowded plants produce 10
spuds each (total 200) ?

Janet.

Shame on you Janet. You will shortly be ejected from the Clan MacTight.
Twice the cost of sowing --is that not a problem?
Suppose you lot up there have become very profligate with money since you
found oil and have more water than the rest of the world:-)