Old 09-04-2006, 06:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default No dig garden constructed (and reconstructed)

The no garden construction got finished to day. Macrocapa and gum sleepers
laid over the grass and stacked up. Wide enough to provide a decent area to
grow but narrow enough to work on without stepping in. High enough to keep
the back from going. The sleepers are as heavy as buggery so they won't be
going anywhere and they were $10 (second grade but quite ok for the back
garden) a time so even better. I measured them all very carefully and cut
them to correct lengths although my zealousness with the chainsaw saw me cut
a few too many. Thats why people invented gang nails (nail plates) to put
them back together.

A covering of cardboard to kill the grass and a good dump of grass clippings
mixed with shradded paper from work went in first. Some kitchen scraps,
mustroom compost and horse crap will go in next and then some spent dirt
lying around from there.

Only problem was I didn't quite build it as my wife imagined it. Silly old
me didn't look read her mind before construction. Thats where the old adage
measure twice, cut twice comes in. First cut for you, second for your wife.

rob