GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cryptomeria (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/142181-cryptomeria.html)

woad 09-04-2006 09:25 PM

Cryptomeria

Hi everyone does anyone know if the shrub Cryptomeria grows ok in ordinary soil or does it need acidic soil. I think its a lovely shrub..thanx in anticipation ..Woad

Rupert 10-04-2006 09:34 PM

Cryptomeria

--
woad

I would not call it a shrub. Depending on the cultivar it can grow to very
large proportions. AFAIK it does not need acid soil but prefers moist
locations.
I notice that a few on line retailers are suddenly pushing this as a *new*
and unusual tree. Sounds interesting

Rupert 10-04-2006 11:01 PM

Cryptomeria

"K" wrote in message
Rupert writes

"woad" wrote in message

Hi everyone does anyone know if the shrub Cryptomeria grows ok in
ordinary soil or does it need acidic soil. I think its a lovely
shrub..thanx in anticipation ..Woad
--
woad

I would not call it a shrub. Depending on the cultivar it can grow to very
large proportions.

Eg up to 120 ft

Kay

120 ft or more but I doubt it would get that size around here.
Araucaria get to over 150 ft in native habitat but just a little less over
here;)

|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk 11-04-2006 09:49 AM

Cryptomeria

120 ft or more but I doubt it would get that size around here.
Araucaria get to over 150 ft in native habitat but just a little less over here;)

In the wild. Some named cultivars only grow to about 60' and it is
quite fast growing. Pretty enough tree too.

But one thing to be aware of it that the pollen is really allergenic
and is responsible for the hayfever season in Japan (about 10% of the
population seriously affected). The airborne pollen is profusely
scattered to the winds. Hayfever from cryptomeria is massive in Japan.
See for example:

http://www.itg.be/itg/DistanceLearni...y_plantsp5.htm

I was never affected by it, but the amount of pollen they produce in
Japanese forests makes everything tacky sticky with yellow pollen for
about a month.

If you are even remotely sensitive to plant allergens this is not
something you should be growing.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Sacha 11-04-2006 01:16 PM

Cryptomeria

Rupert wrote:
"woad" wrote in message

Hi everyone does anyone know if the shrub Cryptomeria grows ok in
ordinary soil or does it need acidic soil. I think its a lovely
shrub..thanx in anticipation ..Woad
--
woad

I would not call it a shrub. Depending on the cultivar it can grow to very
large proportions. AFAIK it does not need acid soil but prefers moist
locations.
I notice that a few on line retailers are suddenly pushing this as a *new*
and unusual tree. Sounds interesting

Ingwersens in Sussex say this on their site:
"CRYPTOMERIA JAPONICA 'VILMORINIANA' AGM

This is one of the best cultivars of the Japanese Cedar or Sugi for the
rock garden and is very slow growing, reaching only 30cm in ten years.
A sunny site in moisture-retaining humus rich soil is preferred, but
some shade will be tolerated."
http://www.ingwersen.co.uk/Cryptomeria%20japonica%20'Vilmoriniana'.htm
--
Sacha