Old 10-04-2006, 12:06 AM
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK
Default Kitchen Window Chives / Basil

Two herb questions, my excuse is that they share the same window box (inside).

I started both from seed last year and had excellent growth, more than I could use.

The Chives slowed but were usable all winter. Now they are getting more sunlight the stems have split and look more like grass. Is this caused by lack of water / nutrients?? Should I cut them back?

My Basil during the winter formed brown solid stems approx 1/8th inch. They are now growing new green leaves. Are they best left alone?

Kind Regards
Brian
Old 10-04-2006, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone here

"tvrchimaera" wrote in message

Two herb questions, my excuse is that they share the same window box
(inside).

I started both from seed last year and had excellent growth, more than
I could use.

The Chives slowed but were usable all winter. Now they are getting
more sunlight the stems have split and look more like grass. Is this
caused by lack of water / nutrients?? Should I cut them back?

My Basil during the winter formed brown solid stems approx 1/8th inch.
They are now growing new green leaves. Are they best left alone?

Kind Regards
Brian

My chives propogate by seed (none of which has found to be viable in three
years)
and by division at the bulb.
Sounds like that is what is happening to yours.
Be a little careful where you trim them for use. Allow at least one or two
'leaves'
per clump and they should thicken up and become a denser clump.

Which you can split, later in the year.

As for Basil, I understand it becomes a very woody plant if allowed to. Keep
trimming it back even if you don't use the leaves to maintain a 'nice,
compact' form.

HTH

Dave