Old 10-04-2006, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Dog poo in compost

Extremely orthodox composters are strongly opposed to adding manure from
meat eating animals in their compost pile. Herbivores yes but carnivores,
like dogs and cats, no.

My mutts turn out a regular supply of pooh. They however are rather spoiled
and get premium biscuits and the occasional left overs such as cooked veges
or meats (basically what I eat).

What are peoples opinions on adding their poo to the compost.

Rob

Old 10-04-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

Extremely orthodox composters are strongly opposed to adding manure from
meat eating animals in their compost pile. Herbivores yes but carnivores,
like dogs and cats, no.

My mutts turn out a regular supply of pooh. They however are rather spoiled
and get premium biscuits and the occasional left overs such as cooked veges
or meats (basically what I eat).

What they eat is irrelevant. Cats and dogs carry zoonotic intestinal
parasites whose very persistent eggs are shed in their faeces. Even if
the animals are regularly wormed, they often get re-infected in between
treatments.

Janet.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

Extremely orthodox composters are strongly opposed to adding manure
from meat eating animals in their compost pile. Herbivores yes but
carnivores, like dogs and cats, no.

My mutts turn out a regular supply of pooh. They however are rather
spoiled and get premium biscuits and the occasional left overs such
as cooked veges or meats (basically what I eat).

What they eat is irrelevant. Cats and dogs carry zoonotic intestinal
parasites whose very persistent eggs are shed in their faeces. Even if
the animals are regularly wormed, they often get re-infected in
between treatments.

Janet.

But if you're just shovelling it into holes or trenches, does it matter?

Old 10-04-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Phil L wrote:

But if you're just shovelling it into holes or trenches, does it matter?

Shovelling what? The compost with the pooh or just the pooh?! I have
dogs and I have never considered putting their mess in my compost - and
the cats too. It's something I find impossible to do. Some on this
forum have burried the stuff. Some just throw anything from dead rats
to all their food stuff on the compost. There's been many discussions
about this before, perhaps you could peruse the archive by searching
compost/dog pooh or similar. You will find that there are those who do
and those who don't. I don't )

Old 10-04-2006, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

La Puce wrote:
Phil L wrote:

But if you're just shovelling it into holes or trenches, does it
matter?

Shovelling what? The compost with the pooh or just the pooh?! I have
dogs and I have never considered putting their mess in my compost -
and the cats too. It's something I find impossible to do. Some on this
forum have burried the stuff. Some just throw anything from dead rats
to all their food stuff on the compost. There's been many discussions
about this before, perhaps you could peruse the archive by searching
compost/dog pooh or similar. You will find that there are those who do
and those who don't. I don't )

My dog is almost vegetarian (although I'm not) and she prefers beans to
bacon any day!

I can't really stop her crapping on the heap, and certainly most of what she
dropped in Jan/Feb has now disppeared and become compost anyway, my idea was
to lift out the fresh stuff and throw the rest in a trench for runner beans,
mostly the compost is last years lawn and very little else.

I can't see the harm in it myself, providing it's not being handled, and
plants devour crap of all kinds (cow, horse, fox etc) I think dogs are just
being victimised!

(As an aside, I found a dead rat last year and put it into the pot when I
was repotting a rose, the rose didn't complain!)

Old 11-04-2006, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...
La Puce wrote:
Phil L wrote:

[...]

I suppose the main concern people have is using the dog poop compost for
veges or fruit and the fear that pathogens may find they way into the food
chain. Some territorial authorities ban the use of human waste for
instance.A good hot compost is said to kill any pathogens. I use alot of dog
poop compost as a mulch to keep down weeds. I have not yet tried it on
edible plants.

rob

Old 11-04-2006, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message , Phil L
writes
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

Extremely orthodox composters are strongly opposed to adding manure
from meat eating animals in their compost pile. Herbivores yes but
carnivores, like dogs and cats, no.

My mutts turn out a regular supply of pooh. They however are rather
spoiled and get premium biscuits and the occasional left overs such
as cooked veges or meats (basically what I eat).

What they eat is irrelevant. Cats and dogs carry zoonotic intestinal
parasites whose very persistent eggs are shed in their faeces. Even if
the animals are regularly wormed, they often get re-infected in
between treatments.

Janet.

But if you're just shovelling it into holes or trenches, does it matter?

Like human pooh, dog pooh takes a very long time to break down, and I
don't think it would be very useful in compost, even if it were only
used for non-food crops. Also, the smell tends to change over time
without improving any. I certainly wouldn't entertain any in my compost
bin and heaven knows, our lab produces enough!

I find it breaks down quite rapdily in compost June although these are not
lab sized turds. My dogs are obviously well bred as the smell does not
linger long. Seems opinion is divided on use in compost for a variety of
reasons.

rob

Old 11-04-2006, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...

But if you're just shovelling it into holes or trenches, does it
matter?

(someone wrote)

My dog is almost vegetarian (although I'm not) and she prefers beans to
bacon any day!

What "matters", is that people understand what human health risk is
carried in cat and dog poop. If they don't have that information they
won't understand why dog poop compost/ toxocara eggs should be kept well
away from, say, salad crops, or childrens play areas. Or why pregnant
women might not want to handle compost made with dog pooh.

The continued insistence by some posters that their dog eats the same
food as themselves, or is a vegetarian, as if that made their pooh
safer , suggests they don't know that risk.

It does not matter is your dog is fed from birth on boiled rice hand
picked by virgin vegans. It was BORN carrying the eggs of toxocara worms
which it acquired from its mother before birth. Medication will kill the
adult worms in pets gut, but reinfection is rapid (from swallowing worm
eggs (shed in faeces) from around its anus, the anus and droppings of
other animals it sniffs, the coat of other animals it licks, etc etc
etc). IOW, you should always treat dog and cat pooh on the assumption it
carries toxocara eggs. The adultworms are easy to kill; the eggs are
much more persistent and can remain dormant until they reach a host gut.

Toxocara worms can migrate through the human gut wall into other
organs and may cause abortion, damage to unborn foetus, and blindness.
Infants and pregnant women are most at risk. There are several thousand
cases in the UK each year iirc.

That's the consideration for gardeners to make. NOT, the diet of the
pet concerned.

Janet.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith Lea

Toxocara worms can migrate through the human gut wall into other
organs and may cause abortion, damage to unborn foetus, and blindness.
Infants and pregnant women are most at risk. There are several thousand
cases in the UK each year iirc.

That's the consideration for gardeners to make. NOT, the diet of the
pet concerned.

Bloomin' 'eck Janet, how will I know if I have this worm wriggling away
inside me? My daughter brought her very bad dog to stay for the
weekend, he was so upset when she went out that he pooed everywhere.
BTW he is not coming again!
--
Judith Lea
Old 11-04-2006, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Judith Lea contains these words:

Toxocara worms can migrate through the human gut wall into other
organs and may cause abortion, damage to unborn foetus, and blindness.
Infants and pregnant women are most at risk. There are several thousand
cases in the UK each year iirc.

That's the consideration for gardeners to make. NOT, the diet of the
pet concerned.

Bloomin' 'eck Janet, how will I know if I have this worm wriggling away
inside me?

In a dog, the symptoms are an itchy bottom and shuffling along the
floor to rub it, much bottom licking, and visible worms in the pooh.
Other than that, I don't know :-)

My daughter brought her very bad dog to stay for the
weekend, he was so upset when she went out that he pooed everywhere.
BTW he is not coming again!

Oh dear :-(

Janet.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

"Phil L" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

very good information, thanks. I had not considered the worm aspect of it.

New Exciting Earth-Friendly Solution for your Dog Poo earthessentials United Kingdom 3 10-09-2011 06:38 PM
Dog Worms: Understand Dog Worms Symptoms and Infestation brahimbb17 Gardening 0 10-12-2008 01:17 PM
Dog poo on lawn.. camloc Lawns 1 22-01-2007 05:27 AM
Dog Poo Brian Delaney Australia 13 21-09-2005 11:17 AM
Compost from Bunnie Poo Vicky United Kingdom 3 26-04-2004 11:13 AM