Old 10-04-2006, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default Gardeners are gardeners

or are they?

If they dare to appear on this hallowed newsgroup via gardenbanter, they are
the lowest of the low.

Why?

Mike

Old 10-04-2006, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Mike wrote:
or are they?

If they dare to appear on this hallowed newsgroup via gardenbanter,
they are the lowest of the low.

Why?

They're not the lowest of the low, people just tell them that this isn't a
website, there is no search facility, they are not 'members' here and other
related facts pertaining to this being a newsgroup and not a website.

Also some of them pi$$ people off by trawling back through five years of
posts and posting a reply to one of them, always without the original text
or anything else so that they appear like this:

Princess Diana killed in car crash.

" Yes I believe it was purple"

Old 10-04-2006, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Mike" wrote in message
or are they?

If they dare to appear on this hallowed newsgroup via gardenbanter, they
are
the lowest of the low.

Why?

Because they are to stupid to find a newsgroup which has been running for
many years!

Alan

Mike

Old 10-04-2006, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Alan Holmes wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
or are they?

If they dare to appear on this hallowed newsgroup via gardenbanter,
they are
the lowest of the low.

Why?

Because they are to stupid to find a newsgroup which has been running
for many years!

Alan

Have you ever tried to explain to someone face to face what usenet is?
The first question out of their mouth is invariably, "what's the web
address?" and the second (usually within the following minute) is " I've not
got a clue what you are talking about"
Less than 1 in ten people with internet access know what usenet is, even
less actually use it

Old 11-04-2006, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

"Mike" wrote in message
: or are they?
:
: If they dare to appear on this hallowed newsgroup via gardenbanter, they
are
: the lowest of the low.
:
: Why?
:
: Mike
:
No, it's just another type of snobbery or smugness frowning on people using
GardenBanter

Old 11-04-2006, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tumbleweed

"Mike" wrote in message
or are they?

If they dare to appear on this hallowed newsgroup via gardenbanter, they
are
the lowest of the low.

Why?

Got an example ? An example of (out of place) rudeness towards the poster
rather than gardenbanter? Check the multiple replies to 'douglas' for
example, nothing to suggest he is considered 'the lowest of the low'.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 11-04-2006, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Robert" wrote in message
news

"Mike" wrote in message
: or are they?
:
: If they dare to appear on this hallowed newsgroup via gardenbanter, they
are
: the lowest of the low.
:
: Why?
:
: Mike
:
No, it's just another type of snobbery or smugness frowning on people
using
GardenBanter

Got it in one. That is how I see it.

But wouldn't it be nice if the 'pointing out', was done in a nicer tone? You
can read the 'aggression' in the responses from the owners, thus making sure
that 'gardeners are 'not' gardeners' especially if they have poked their
head above the parapet via garden banter

Mike

Old 11-04-2006, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

and why do people post from there when
they can do it so much easier by subcribing (free) to uk.rec.gardening?

I would guess that they don't know, so wouldn't it be nice to address their
lack of knowledge by a 'polite' posting instead of ripping into them?
Mike

Old 11-04-2006, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

If they dare to appear on this hallowed newsgroup via gardenbanter, they
are
the lowest of the low.

Why?

I originally thought that it was a group run by primary school children
somewhere because of the lack of punctuation. I later worked out that it was
website which apparently strips out the punctuation when it posts - is this
true? Anyway I think that the fact that the posts appear in this way leads
people to subconsciously think that the OP is stupid and/or about 7 years
old. Just my theory anyway

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 11-04-2006, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

H Ryder wrote:
[...]
when it posts - is this true? Anyway I think that the fact that the
posts appear in this way leads people to subconsciously think that
the OP is stupid and/or about 7 years old. Just my theory anyway

All the more reason, then, to treat them gently. That's what we do in
real life, after all. I've never quite understood it, but there is
something about Usenet that makes some people a bit snappy -- I don't
exclude myself, by any means, as I've said my share of embarrassing
things in newsgroups. Perhaps it's a combination of anonymity, lack of
body-language and eye-contact, and the need for brevity imposed by
typing rather than speaking.

I think it's great if somebody discovers Usenet by way of portals like
GB, and we should be holding the door open for them. Apart from anything
else, the more people get into newsgroups, the better the chance that
ISPs will keep on providing access: we don't want any more following
AOL's dumb example.

--
Mike.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Mike" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote in message
news

"Mike" wrote in message
: or are they?
:
[...]

There are times Mike when you appear over sensitive, I often wonder reading
a string of posts what exactly people are getting cross about (not just you)
Me, well I see no point in scoring points or arguing with someone I can't
see, am never likely to meet, and is unlikely to change there minds or
opinions about something because of some point I have made, save your energy
to enjoying the garden.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-04-2006, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Alan Holmes" wrote
"Robert"
"Mike" wrote
: or are they?
:
: If they dare to appear on this hallowed newsgroup via gardenbanter, they
are the lowest of the low.
:
: Why?
: Mike
:
No, it's just another type of snobbery or smugness frowning on people
using
GardenBanter

No, it's an attempt to get people to understand that a gardening group has
been running for many years (20+) under the heading of uk.rec.gardening.
What the hell is gardenbanter anyway, and why do people post from there when
they can do it so much easier by subcribing (free) to uk.rec.gardening?
Alan

Gardenbanter is a web site that lists loads of usenets groups.........I suppose
we should be glad that people find us though them :~)

They do tell people its a portal and they list a FAQ about usenet.

Most people don't know about newsgroups and some URGlers try to enhance their
knowledge by pointing out what's what.

Jenny

Old 11-04-2006, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"H Ryder" wrote in message
If they dare to appear on this hallowed newsgroup via gardenbanter, they

are
the lowest of the low.

Why?

I originally thought that it was a group run by primary school children
somewhere because of the lack of punctuation. I later worked out that it was
website which apparently strips out the punctuation when it posts - is this
true? Anyway I think that the fact that the posts appear in this way leads
people to subconsciously think that the OP is stupid and/or about 7 years
old. Just my theory anyway
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Probably the younger generation who have grown up with SMS speak :~)

I have friends who send emails with out punctuation, paragraphs or any form of
spelling check :~(

Jenny

Old 11-04-2006, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Most people don't know about newsgroups and some URGlers try to enhance

their
knowledge by pointing out what's what.

Quite.

In a very authoritarian and superior way.

My whole point.

Mike

Old 11-04-2006, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Mike wrote:
or are they?

If they dare to appear on this hallowed newsgroup via gardenbanter,
they are the lowest of the low.

2nd reply

I don't see why people should be able to profit from advice I or anyone else
gives freely on this newsgroup.
gardenbanter, diybanter and all the other 'banters' are set up for less than
a tenner and rake in profits from advertisers, they are parasitic inthat
they don't put anything in but leech off this group and others....I've
nothing against the people who use GB per se, but I tend not to respond to
their queries.
Another point to note is that people find GB, ask one or two questions then
never return, rarely do you find that GB users 'give back' to the group.