GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Raised bed - soil / media (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/142275-raised-bed-soil-media.html)

tvrchimaera 12-04-2006 01:29 AM

Raised bed - soil / media

Hi,

Yes I know I should have set up my raised bed last Autumn to give the soil / manure mixture time to break down.

However I am sorting it out this weekend and will be planting out in a few weeks. I'm in Surrey so no more frosty nights I hope.

I already have some decent topsoil to use. Is it safe to add well roted manure??

Regards
Brian

George.com 12-04-2006 09:38 AM

Raised bed - soil / media

"tvrchimaera" wrote in message

Hi,

Yes I know I should have set up my raised bed last Autumn to give the
soil / manure mixture time to break down.

However I am sorting it out this weekend and will be planting out in a
few weeks. I'm in Surrey so no more frosty nights I hope.

I already have some decent topsoil to use. Is it safe to add well
roted manure??

exactly what I am doing now. I have built the raised gardens and am steadily
filling them with nice rich worm infested compost and any supply of animal
poop I can get. I have scavanged some stud horse poo free from the roadside
but today found a riding for the disabled charity here in town with a
massive pile of well rotted worm strewn horse crap. The stuff at the bottom
is like soil. Help yourself they say all for a small donation.

rob