Old 14-04-2006, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David W.E. Roberts

Default Instant bedding for East facing border in South facing garden?

Hi,

just had two gardeners go through our shrubs and borders with fire and the
sword.

This was much needed - we haven't had much time over the last year and it
was a jungle.

We now fancy some colour to brighten the borders.

The main one is East facing, and shaded in the afternoon by shrubs, a fence,
neighbour's hedge etc.

I assume this is 'partial shade' as it gets the sun (when clouds permit) in
the morning.

What kind of stuff would be good to give a splash of colour now?

Being in a coastal location I think that we have seen the last of the
frosts.

TIA
Dave R

Old 14-04-2006, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
Hi,

just had two gardeners go through our shrubs and borders with fire and the
sword.

This was much needed - we haven't had much time over the last year and it
was a jungle.

We now fancy some colour to brighten the borders.

snip

Have a look at this part of urg's FAQ. I think you'll find it helpful:
http://home.clara.net/tmac/urgring/faqshade.htm
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-04-2006, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike P

On 14 Apr 2006 02:56:41 -0700, "Sacha"

... David W.E. Roberts wrote:
... Hi,
... just had two gardeners go through our shrubs and borders with fire and the
... sword.
... This was much needed - we haven't had much time over the last year and it
... was a jungle.
... We now fancy some colour to brighten the borders.
... snip
... Have a look at this part of urg's FAQ. I think you'll find it helpful:
... http://home.clara.net/tmac/urgring/faqshade.htm

just what I was looking for too !!

Thanks

Mike P
Old 14-04-2006, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David W.E. Roberts

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
Hi,

just had two gardeners go through our shrubs and borders with fire and

the
sword.

This was much needed - we haven't had much time over the last year and

it
was a jungle.

We now fancy some colour to brighten the borders.

snip

Have a look at this part of urg's FAQ. I think you'll find it helpful:
http://home.clara.net/tmac/urgring/faqshade.htm
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Thanks - I hadn't realised how comprehensive the FAQ was :-)

Old 14-04-2006, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David W.E. Roberts

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
Hi,

just had two gardeners go through our shrubs and borders with fire and

the
sword.

This was much needed - we haven't had much time over the last year and

it
was a jungle.

We now fancy some colour to brighten the borders.

snip

Have a look at this part of urg's FAQ. I think you'll find it helpful:
http://home.clara.net/tmac/urgring/faqshade.htm
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Just read the list properly and seen Vinca (Major and Minor).

I can confirm it grows well in this location; in fact I don't think the
clearasnce has fully eradicated this so it will be an ongoing battle.

My aim is for something less invasive, and with a higher flower to leaf
ratio :-)

Old 14-04-2006, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
[...]

We've been clearing masses of it out of our garden, too. It does the
job but you do need to get your foot on its neck and keep it there.
My aim is for something less invasive, and with a higher flower to leaf
ratio :-)

I absolutely love Tellima and its delicate scent. And violets are
wonderful. Years ago, I had one called Viola labradorica and I seem to
remember that being fairly quickly to cover the ground. We have a
Lamium here which has a variegated leaf and bright pink flowers (sorry,
can't remember the name just now and that's not too invasive at all.
We have a mass of comfrey here and there, too but again that might be
too 'bossy' for you. Would Geranium palmatum 'do' in your area?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-04-2006, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David W.E. Roberts

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip
[...]

Geranium is top of our list.

Violets sound very nice too.

Comfrey is making its presence felt around the garden already - again the
leaf to flower ratio is not favourable.

Thanks

Dave R

Old 15-04-2006, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote

Geranium is top of our list.

Violets sound very nice too.

Comfrey is making its presence felt around the garden already - again
the leaf to flower ratio is not favourable.

Euphorbias, anemone blanda, hellebores, hyacinths, pulmonaria and
primroses all putting up a good show of colour just now in east
facing/part shaded area in my garden. Dicentra will be following on
soon.

Is it just my imagination or are native primroses flowering even more
wonderfully than usual this year? I've got a lot of seedlings flowering
in the gravel round the house, so I spent a happy hour yesterday
transplanting some of them down into the wild area to join their cousins
that are flourishing there under hazel shrubs.

--
Sue