Old 14-04-2006, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Clematis 'Green Velvet'

We were given a Clematis called Green Velvet. However, the label on it
is handwritten and calls it Clematis petrei, whereas a quick Google
puts it in C. forsteri group but there seems to be little information
on it. Can anyone tell me which is correct? Charlie perhaps, or
anyone else who happens to know it, of course. As far as I can find
out, it's evergreen and scented. What I haven't yet discovered is if
it's hardy or not!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-04-2006, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...
We were given a Clematis called Green Velvet. However, the label on it
is handwritten and calls it Clematis petrei, whereas a quick Google
puts it in C. forsteri group but there seems to be little information
on it. Can anyone tell me which is correct? Charlie perhaps, or
anyone else who happens to know it, of course. As far as I can find
out, it's evergreen and scented. What I haven't yet discovered is if
it's hardy or not!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

It won't be fully hardy, none of the New Zealand sorts are, but you can
often find a place where they will survive. A lot have green flowers and
green velvet is not a name I have come across, People are always asking for
green flowered clematis so I would interested how you get on!
For an id have you tried the Hull clematis site www.clematis.hull.ac.uk see
what they say

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-04-2006, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks Charlie. And yes, I did try the Hull site which is where I
found the first description of it as Forsteri. Then I finally had the
common sense (duh!) to look at Guy Sissons new site because it was he
who gave it to us. (I had been looking at UK sites only and of course,
he's in France now!) He still calls it C.petrei and says it will go to
-6C. Ray is going to try it in a sheltered spot but will take
cuttings from it, too. Here's what Guy's site says about it:

"0131 Clematis petrei. "Green Velvet". £9.40
Beautiful evergreen small serrated leaved climber from NZ. Bright green
glaucous leaves, masses of cream / white fragrant flowers with a green
centre in early spring , climbing to 6ft on a protected wall, needs
winter protection from frost laden winds. Highly suited to a
conservatory, flowers earlier and avoids winter damag. Expect over 100
blossoms to cover a small 2 ft plant. Easy, very rewarding, a good
first evergreen conservatory clematis to start with. Hardy to -6c or
more, needs any fertile moist soil and a cool period to intitiate
flowering."

Hull describes it as lime green flowers but the pic appears to show
white flowers, so I suspect Guy's description is more accurate. He's
more likely to have seen them, too! Naturally, if cuttings are
successful, I'm sure one will come your way!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Epi Red Velvet v_coerulea Orchid Photos 0 29-03-2008 11:53 PM
Cherry wood baby hamper and olive velvet armchair lampbay[_2_] Lawns 0 10-08-2007 02:30 AM
Paph. (Hsinying Zebra x Hsinying Velvet) danny Orchid Photos 3 22-11-2006 08:20 AM
Green Velvet Boxwood Emerald Gardening 1 22-10-2004 09:07 PM
Black Velvet Geranium... experiences? DigitalVinyl Gardening 0 22-07-2003 07:10 AM