GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   new lawn advice needed please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/142481-new-lawn-advice-needed-please.html)

spider 15-04-2006 05:53 PM

new lawn advice needed please

I've moved into a house with poor lawn drainage, I have installed land
drains, my question is, can I rotavate the existing lawn, add fresh top
soil
and level before turfing, would this be the normal way, or would I have
remove the old layer of grass before adding top soil.

Any ideas or web sites that you could recommend?

Cheers

Ian

H Ryder 15-04-2006 07:33 PM

new lawn advice needed please

my friend (on sandy soil) just put her turf on top of the old lawn - the
weeds came through bit the grass grew.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

pied piper 16-04-2006 03:46 PM

"H Ryder" wrote in message
my friend (on sandy soil) just put her turf on top of the old lawn - the
weeds came through bit the grass grew.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

bad advice just overseed or remove the top layer and returf

George.com 17-04-2006 10:05 AM

"pied piper" wrote in message

"H Ryder" wrote in message
my friend (on sandy soil) just put her turf on top of the old lawn -

the
weeds came through bit the grass grew.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

bad advice just overseed or remove the top layer and returf

Ian, are you going to work in some organic matter? compost, poop of the
like?

rob