Old 16-04-2006, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
LongYP

Default Levelling a lawn

First post to this group so apologies if this is one off those topics
regularly discussed.

My lawn is in 'fairly' good condition and fortunately big enough to justify
a ride on mower.

There is a 'drop' in the lawn where it appears the prevoius owners were
going to lay some foundations then decided against this.

As the mower approaches the drop (not huge ~6", and sloping) and subseqent
rise the lawn is destroyed by the mower which can not handle this slope.

I would like to level this part of the lawn.

How do I go about this? - Loads of top soil, roller to flatten, then seed ..
is that it?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Old 16-04-2006, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"LongYP" wrote in message
First post to this group so apologies if this is one off those topics
regularly discussed.

My lawn is in 'fairly' good condition and fortunately big enough to

justify
a ride on mower.

There is a 'drop' in the lawn where it appears the prevoius owners were
going to lay some foundations then decided against this.

As the mower approaches the drop (not huge ~6", and sloping) and subseqent
rise the lawn is destroyed by the mower which can not handle this slope.

I would like to level this part of the lawn.

How do I go about this? - Loads of top soil, roller to flatten, then seed

Many thanks for any suggestions.

if the rest of the soil is in good condition, level, well draining etc, then
yes, that is about it. Fill in the hollow, level, leave a little while for
any settling and re-seed.

rob

Old 16-04-2006, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"LongYP" wrote in message
First post to this group so apologies if this is one off those topics
regularly discussed.

My lawn is in 'fairly' good condition and fortunately big enough to
justify a ride on mower.

There is a 'drop' in the lawn where it appears the prevoius owners were
going to lay some foundations then decided against this.

As the mower approaches the drop (not huge ~6", and sloping) and subseqent
rise the lawn is destroyed by the mower which can not handle this slope.

I would like to level this part of the lawn.

How do I go about this? - Loads of top soil, roller to flatten, then seed
.. is that it?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Can't argue with your strategy. You could lift the turf -level and relay .
You would have a more instant job and a perfect match of grasses.

Old 17-04-2006, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Rupert" wrote in message

"LongYP" wrote in message
[...]

just a word of warning doing it that way. I cut a rise out of my lawn by
firstly cutting the existing sod out in squares and then digging to drop the
soil layer before replacing the sod. It was a sod of a job to get the sod I
cut out level with the rest of the sodding sod. I finally got it somewhere
right but did have to oversow parts of it. Even now, 18 months later, it
does not look as good as the rest of the lawn. Mind you, others would most
likely do it better than I as I was 'learning by doing'. Moreover you are
building up rather than cutting down so it should be easier to estimate then
you have enough fill to make the turf you cut out level with the existing
lawn level. If not, a good stomp or a roll should help.

You are probably best to slightly overfill the hole before relaying your cut
out turf as rolling and weathering will result in some drop. It does depend
on how level you want the lawn, bang on or close enough being good enough.
Doing it that way you will not need pristine top soil as the filler, unless
you cut a very thin layer of turf out, as the chunk of earth and root below
the turf will provide a good base of decent earth. General scungy run of the
mill garden variety soil should do fine. If you cut out a good wedge of
earth with the turf this will also reduce liklihood of drying out ig you
have a sudden mini drought.

rob