Old 17-04-2006, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Connor T

Default Ryobi petrol strimmer

Hi,

Got a 2nd hand ryobi petrol strimmer over winter, and have just come
round to using it - it starts and runs fine, but doesnt strim anything.
it seems that the spool slows rather than cutting the grass.

any ideas?

Dan

Old 17-04-2006, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message .com,
Connor T wrote
Hi,

Got a 2nd hand ryobi petrol strimmer over winter, and have just come
round to using it - it starts and runs fine, but doesnt strim anything.
it seems that the spool slows rather than cutting the grass.

any ideas?

You have fitted the cutting cord to the spool?

One of the hand controls (finger controls) will be a throttle to speed
up the motor when cutting. Usually found under the on/off switch. Does
the motor speed up when you depress the throttle fully with your finger?

If you are attempting to cut six foot high wet grass then try cutting
off a foot at a time clearing the debris as you go.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 17-04-2006, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Road_Hog®

"Connor T" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Got a 2nd hand ryobi petrol strimmer over winter, and have just come
round to using it - it starts and runs fine, but doesnt strim anything.
it seems that the spool slows rather than cutting the grass.

any ideas?

Check you've fitted the spool properly.

Check that the engine is running at correct speed.

The cable may be buggered - they use a cable similar to a speedo cable.

Take it to a dealer.

Old 19-04-2006, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Connor T

Yes, the cutting cord is fitted, and the spool is connected fine from
what I can tell. The grass was short 3 inch, no more, dry. The engine
runs perfectly, and the throttle works as expected, the spool seems to
spin up to a decent speed, but as soon as you put it near any grass,
rather than cutting it it just seems to slow down, the engine note
doesnt really change. ( on max at this point ) Very strange??

Old 19-04-2006, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Connor T" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, the cutting cord is fitted, and the spool is connected fine from
what I can tell. The grass was short 3 inch, no more, dry. The engine
runs perfectly, and the throttle works as expected, the spool seems to
spin up to a decent speed, but as soon as you put it near any grass,
rather than cutting it it just seems to slow down, the engine note
doesnt really change. ( on max at this point ) Very strange??

Off the top of my head as I don't know the animal, I would say that there is
a friction/clutch drive somewhere which is worn, so that when the cord is
applied to the grass and has to do ome work, this friction/clutch drive
slips rather like a torque screwdriver, but you are not hearing the clicks

Just a guess by the description of what is happening

Mike