GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Greenhouse heater required in April? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/142665-greenhouse-heater-required-april.html)

Simon 19-04-2006 12:36 PM

Greenhouse heater required in April?

Hi -

Have just had delivery of greenhouse which will get erected this
weekend. It will have seedlings moved to it from the house windowsills
straightaway.

I plan on buying a heater for it but am wondering whether I need to buy
a heater now or will the greenhouse itself be sufficient protection
from any frosts we get in the next few months.

BTW, I live in Wiltshire.

Tia

Simon

chris French 19-04-2006 03:44 PM

Greenhouse heater required in April?

In message . com, Simon
writes
Hi -

Have just had delivery of greenhouse which will get erected this
weekend. It will have seedlings moved to it from the house windowsills
straightaway.

I plan on buying a heater for it but am wondering whether I need to buy
a heater now or will the greenhouse itself be sufficient protection
from any frosts we get in the next few months.

No, should eb ok - just keep an eye on the temps, if it gets too low
cover with something, some fleece, polythene sheet etc.
--
Chris French

garyl2k 19-04-2006 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon
Hi -

Have just had delivery of greenhouse which will get erected this
weekend. It will have seedlings moved to it from the house windowsills
straightaway.

I plan on buying a heater for it but am wondering whether I need to buy
a heater now or will the greenhouse itself be sufficient protection
from any frosts we get in the next few months.

BTW, I live in Wiltshire.

Tia

Simon

It's hard to say really as the weather so far in April has been pritty warm. The tempature as risen and dropped over nights and is hard to judge. It also depends on the area your which you have stated and sadly I dont know that area at all so no idea what the climate would be in April around that area.

I'd use the heater but at your own risk, always keep an aye on the tempature and if it is getting to hot then you know what to do.

chris French 19-04-2006 11:43 PM

Greenhouse heater required in April?

In message , garyl2k
writes

Simon Wrote:
Hi -

Have just had delivery of greenhouse which will get erected this
weekend. It will have seedlings moved to it from the house
windowsills

straightaway.

I plan on buying a heater for it but am wondering whether I need to
buy

a heater now or will the greenhouse itself be sufficient protection
from any frosts we get in the next few months.

I'd use the heater but at your own risk, always keep an aye on the
tempature and if it is getting to hot then you know what to do.

too hot??

It's have to be a pokey heater to make a greenhouse 'too hot', and
anyway, they normally have thermostat to control the temp

--
Chris French