GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   huge stumps (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/142849-huge-stumps.html)

H Ryder 22-04-2006 10:14 AM

huge stumps

Have just read teh post on honey fungus and am now worried about our tree
stumps and logs. We have two stumps, both over a foot in diameter, one
apple, the other birch. We were going to leave them as (a) we can not afford
a stump grinder and (b) one is so close to the septic tank that we are
concerned about having it ground (are not sure exactly what a stump grinder
is but it sounded like a possibly bad idea). Anyway we have no honey fungus
now - can it spontaneously appear? Also should I get rid of my wood pile
(logs for insects, toads etc to live in) and "decorative seats made out of
old tree logs (again birch and apple)"? TIA

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)