GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   attaching rambler to house (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/142959-attaching-rambler-house.html)

H Ryder 24-04-2006 10:08 PM

attaching rambler to house

I have a rambling rose - v vigorous I think - it was in a tree. Now I would
like it to ramble all over our bungalow but how do I get it to do this? The
bits I'd like covered are too high for me to reach easily. I've seen houses
covered in beautiful roses, all over - how do people get them to "stick"?
TIA,

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Nick Maclaren 24-04-2006 10:53 PM

attaching rambler to house

In article ,
"H Ryder" writes:

| I have a rambling rose - v vigorous I think - it was in a tree. Now I would
| like it to ramble all over our bungalow but how do I get it to do this? The
| bits I'd like covered are too high for me to reach easily. I've seen houses
| covered in beautiful roses, all over - how do people get them to "stick"?

A stepladder?

Roses are not climbers, and will need tying on. They are typically
fairly stiff, so it doesn't have to be done very often, but manual
attention is needed a few times a year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

H Ryder 24-04-2006 11:03 PM

attaching rambler to house

...but manual
attention is needed a few times a year.

so is there now way of getting them to "ramble through" some kind of trellis
like they do in a tree? I can only get so high with a step ladder :(

Mike Lyle 24-04-2006 11:50 PM

attaching rambler to house

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"H Ryder" writes:

I have a rambling rose - v vigorous I think - it was in a tree. Now
I would like it to ramble all over our bungalow but how do I get it
to do this? The bits I'd like covered are too high for me to reach
easily. I've seen houses covered in beautiful roses, all over - how
do people get them to "stick"?

A stepladder?

Roses are not climbers, and will need tying on. They are typically
fairly stiff, so it doesn't have to be done very often, but manual
attention is needed a few times a year.

I let one grow too well once, and the whole thing fell off. Nightmare.
So make sure the fixings are far stronger than you think necessary. If
you don't like ladder work, it might be a temptation to use quick
lightweight fixings: I'd resist such a temptation, and drill and plug
for stout screw eyes to take horizontal wires. Black army telephone wire
or good galvanised wire.

--
Mike.

H Ryder 25-04-2006 02:28 PM

attaching rambler to house

Some of the very big ramblers would be hard to keep flowering below
the roof level of a bungalow.

why (is it because I'd have to prune them too much)? will they scramble over
the roof?

You might find some of the more modern
climbers more suitable (and with a longer flowering season).

I know but this one is already there and I thought that you could not dig up
and replace roses because of replant disease?

H Ryder 25-04-2006 04:55 PM

attaching rambler to house

When you said it was right up a tree, I didn't realise you intended
to redirect the same rose ;

we cut the tree down because it was too close to the house. We saved the
rose, which has now been heavily pruned, and I thought that I'd redirect it
to the house. Will keep an eye on it this season and see what happens. It is
not Kidsgate as it is red but it did fairly cover a big brambly.