Old 25-04-2006, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Liquid compost as a foliant spray (innoculant)

I recently had an interesting experience with liquid compost and am
wondering if anyone has an explaination for it.

On 2 occasions this autumn some roses in the garden were infested with
aphids and thrips (and maybe mites) and what I think is black spot. On both
occasions I sprayed the top and bottom of the leaves with a general liquid
compost (a combination of organic material including seaweed but nothing
made to a specific recipe). Within 1-2 weeks most of the aphids and thrips
were dead or had migrated and the black spot seemed to be less prolific.

I thus deduced either:
a. there was some good biological activity being transferred to the roses
which knocked out the pests
b. I drowned the bugs with enough liquid and the black spot somehow solved
itself or didn't in fact recede
c. the smell of the compost (rank) was enough to drive off the pests

Liquid composts are reputed to be beneficial to plants however I am not sure
whether I am a beneficiary of this or some other plausible explaination.

rob

Old 25-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Huddersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.com
a general liquid
compost (a combination of organic material including seaweed but nothing
made to a specific recipe).

Liquid composts are reputed to be beneficial to plants however I am not sure
whether I am a beneficiary of this or some other plausible explaination.

rob
Was it a home made brew?

Perhaps it was a bit acidic and poisoned the pests, plus if it contained any sulphur this would help to clear the 'black spot'
Old 25-04-2006, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"George.com" wrote in message
[...]

It's quite common to be alarmed by large populations of aphids in
spring. At that point one of 2 things happen.
(1) You wait a few days and natural predators take the aphids.
(2) You spray and a few days later the aphids are gone or much
reduced. You breath a sigh of relief and say "wow, that spray was good
stuff".

As for the 'black spot', some nutrient deficiencies on roses
particularly Potassium can look a bit like black spot, so I'm guessing
your brew at least partially corrected that.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 25-04-2006, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Rod Craddock" writes:

| As for the 'black spot', some nutrient deficiencies on roses
| particularly Potassium can look a bit like black spot, so I'm guessing
| your brew at least partially corrected that.

It could also work similarly to milk. My guess is that the nutrients
in milk (and perhaps liquid compost) encourage bacteria or other fungi,
which then consume the black spot. But that is a wild hypothesis :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-04-2006, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Scotia" wrote in message

George.com Wrote:
a general liquid
compost (a combination of organic material including seaweed but
nothing
made to a specific recipe).

Liquid composts are reputed to be beneficial to plants however I am not
sure
whether I am a beneficiary of this or some other plausible
explaination.

rob

Was it a home made brew?

Perhaps it was a bit acidic and poisoned the pests, plus if it
contained any sulphur this would help to clear the 'black spot'

maybe, it is a backyard liquid compost with the organic matter perpetually
rotting in the water rather than finished compost soaked in to some water
for a period of time. I have not bothered checking the acidity or mineral
content. It does have quite a bit of sea weed in it but that should be
nutrient balanced and not too salty.

rob

Old 26-04-2006, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Rod Craddock" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote in message
[...]

I prefer to think the latter that it killed them Rod as I have not seen any
sign of predators (it is autumn here). The smell was bad enough to kill the
*******s anyhow. Yes, it may not have been black spot. It looked like black
spot so it was black spot for me however I know nowt about roses so to an
expert it may be lack of P.

rob