GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Patio Construction (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143026-patio-construction.html)

Rambling Rose 25-04-2006 11:19 PM

Patio Construction

Hi, I'm a Newbie, live in Scotland and am redesigning our garden. I'd like to build a patio outside the kitchen door but am unsure what base mix goes under the slabs and what the best filler is, to go in between them. Can anyone advise me please?

JennyC 26-04-2006 07:25 AM

Patio Construction

"Rambling Rose" wrote in message

Hi, I'm a Newbie, live in Scotland and am redesigning our garden. I'd
like to build a patio outside the kitchen door but am unsure what base
mix goes under the slabs and what the best filler is, to go in between
them. Can anyone advise me please?
Rambling Rose

All you could ever need to know about paving ........and more :
http://www.pavingexpert.com/index.htm

Jenny :~)

An Oasis 26-04-2006 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Hi, I'm a Newbie, live in Scotland and am redesigning our garden. I'd like to build a patio outside the kitchen door but am unsure what base mix goes under the slabs and what the best filler is, to go in between them. Can anyone advise me please?

Hi check out Tony's website...

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

I would be amazed if you cannot find exacly what you need!

Rich

An Oasis 26-04-2006 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Oasis
Hi check out Tony's website...

http://www.pavingexpert.com/

I would be amazed if you cannot find exacly what you need!

Rich

Woops sorry about the duplicate URL jenny beat me to it the update must be running slow...

[email protected] 26-04-2006 11:17 AM

Patio Construction

Nick Maclaren wrote:

You can take short-cuts if you know what you are doing (I did), but you
won't go wrong following that site. The main short cut is that you can
reduce or eliminate the sub-base if you can GUARANTEE no motor traffic
and your soil is mostly sand or gravel - you still need to compact it,
of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

My patio is slabs laid on sand laid on the earth underneath. They've
moved a little bit in twenty odd years but otherwise are fine. I've
got heavy clay soil where I am.

Nick Maclaren 26-04-2006 11:22 AM

Patio Construction

In article .com,
writes:

| You can take short-cuts if you know what you are doing (I did), but you
| won't go wrong following that site. The main short cut is that you can
| reduce or eliminate the sub-base if you can GUARANTEE no motor traffic
| and your soil is mostly sand or gravel - you still need to compact it,
| of course.
|
| My patio is slabs laid on sand laid on the earth underneath. They've
| moved a little bit in twenty odd years but otherwise are fine. I've
| got heavy clay soil where I am.

Mine haven't moved at all, but my soil is 60% sand and only 18% clay.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.