Old 26-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Registered User

Default Cornus Alba - to prune or not to prune

I bought 4 cornus alba plants last year for their bright coloured bark in winter. They were small plants, about 18ins high, with thin branches. I know it's getting a bit late now but should I prune them hard back or leave them a year to get stronger, and prune hard next year? Any thoughts greatly received.
Thank you.
Old 27-04-2006, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

dlrodgers wrote:
I bought 4 cornus alba plants last year for their bright coloured bark
in winter. They were small plants, about 18ins high, with thin
branches. I know it's getting a bit late now but should I prune them
hard back or leave them a year to get stronger, and prune hard next
year? Any thoughts greatly received.

I wouldn't do it now. Too late. Next March cut one in three stems right
back, those that are twisted and dead too. I have once cut mine right
back - all of the branches - and it took all year to come up again. I
need mine for privacy and therefore it's no good to cut all the
branches off. Also I prune every 2 years. HTH

Old 27-04-2006, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

I agree with La Puce as I've read a lot on this having had the same
questions.

Even Mr Titchmarsh recommends only cutting back some of the branches
and leaving the others.

Pruning hard back gives max WINTER stems but will obviously not give
you much in the way of anything while it is growing for the rest of the
year.

Some books , websites etc say to prun hard back but then don't say how
often. some as Mr T say go the half way house and only some of the
branches.

Of course you can also take cuttings to start growing more and then
when your new ones are growing the olds ones can be pruned hard etc .
All depends on if you want all year value of max value in winter.

Anyway I'm no expert this is just what I've read etc from elsewhere

Old 27-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Puce
dlrodgers wrote:
I bought 4 cornus alba plants last year for their bright coloured bark
in winter. They were small plants, about 18ins high, with thin
branches. I know it's getting a bit late now but should I prune them
hard back or leave them a year to get stronger, and prune hard next
year? Any thoughts greatly received.

I wouldn't do it now. Too late. Next March cut one in three stems right
back, those that are twisted and dead too. I have once cut mine right
back - all of the branches - and it took all year to come up again. I
need mine for privacy and therefore it's no good to cut all the
branches off. Also I prune every 2 years. HTH
Thank you for your reply. I shall leave it a year then and do what you say next March.
Old 28-04-2006, 11:25 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrodgers
Thank you for your reply. I shall leave it a year then and do what you say next March.

Having cut mine back last month i took some of the larger cuttings and just shoved them in the ground hoping they'd take. its looking good so far as none of them look in too bad shape.

Is this the correct way to take cuttings and make new plants?

or have i been naivley lucky?

Should i leave them where they are? or do something else to keep them going?

Cheers

Old 28-04-2006, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:22:59 +0000
dlrodgers wrote:

La Puce Wrote:
dlrodgers wrote:
I bought 4 cornus alba plants last year for their bright coloured
bark
in winter. They were small plants, about 18ins high, with thin
branches. I know it's getting a bit late now but should I prune them
hard back or leave them a year to get stronger, and prune hard next
year? Any thoughts greatly received.

I wouldn't do it now. Too late. Next March cut one in three stems
right
back, those that are twisted and dead too. I have once cut mine right
back - all of the branches - and it took all year to come up again. I
need mine for privacy and therefore it's no good to cut all the
branches off. Also I prune every 2 years. HTH

Thank you for your reply. I shall leave it a year then and do what you
say next March.

Or you could do like me, and attack random bits of it with the
chainsaw every 5 years or so. It gets quite large, but the whole
exterior still has the red stems so it is still showy in winter.
Additionally you get pretty white flowers (like C. contraversa)
and berries too.

Really I only cut it back when it starts taking over the path.
Just planted 'Elegantissima', I plan to let it go also. Of course
all this presumes space to spare.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 28-04-2006, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Zarch wrote:
Having cut mine back last month i took some of the larger cuttings and
just shoved them in the ground hoping they'd take. its looking good so
far as none of them look in too bad shape.
Is this the correct way to take cuttings and make new plants?
or have i been naivley lucky?

Funny you should say that because when I cut some of mine off, I proped
them against the fence resting on the soil, so that I would still keep
the privacy from the street I want and a few took. However, ideally
soft wood should be taken in the summer and hard wood in late winter,
as far as cornus is concerned.

Should i leave them where they are? or do something else to keep them
going?

Depends how big they are and where they are. I'd live them if they are
in the right place. My kids are forever breaking bits of plants
throughout the year with their football, the dogs break branches off
etc. and I just trim the broken cuttings and shove them in a
wheelbarrow filled with compost, regardless of the time of year. I just
can't throw anything away. Once the plants are strong, I move them out
of it. If you're happy where they are, just enjoy and concider yourself
lucky indeed )