Old 27-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Registered User

Default Salix Cottetii (Willow Tree)

Hi everyone.

I have just got two of the above trees and am finding it hard to find information on them.

I have a large garden and wish to plant these near my hedge at the bottom of the garden. The house and drainage system is about 35 or so foot away, so think that will be ok?

Does anyone know anything about these trees? Any help would be appreciated.

Only know that they were started in Germany (as that is where I got them) and they prefer wetish soil.

Doh can you tell I am the new gardener haha, you will be hearing from me often!!

Thanks in advance
Old 27-04-2006, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Donwill

"Jacqui" wrote in message

Hi everyone.

I have just got two of the above trees and am finding it hard to find
information on them.

I have a large garden and wish to plant these near my hedge at the
bottom of the garden. The house and drainage system is about 35 or so
foot away, so think that will be ok?

Does anyone know anything about these trees? Any help would be
appreciated.

Only know that they were started in Germany (as that is where I got
them) and they prefer wetish soil.

Doh can you tell I am the new gardener haha, you will be hearing from
me often!!

Thanks in advance

It's understand it's a cross S. Retusa x S. Myrsinifolia and is described
as a small prostrate shrub, probably suitable for the rock garden, relativly
fast growing producing attractive fresh green foliage and effective ground
cover. (From Willows The genus Salix, by Christopher Newsholme)

Good Luck
Donwill

Old 27-04-2006, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Donwill
writes
It's understand it's a cross S. Retusa x S. Myrsinifolia and is
described as a small prostrate shrub, probably suitable for the rock
garden, relativly fast growing producing attractive fresh green foliage
and effective ground cover. (From Willows The genus Salix, by
Christopher Newsholme)

According to the web there's (at least) two plants going by the name S.
x cottetii; the prostrate shrub you mention, and a large shrub growing
to 8-10 feet. I'd believe that the name correctly refers to the former,
but when the OP describes the plant as a tree one wonders if that is
indeed what she has.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 28-04-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Donwill

In message , Donwill
writes
It's understand it's a cross S. Retusa x S. Myrsinifolia and is
described as a small prostrate shrub, probably suitable for the rock
garden, relativly fast growing producing attractive fresh green foliage
and effective ground cover. (From Willows The genus Salix, by Christopher
Newsholme)

According to the web there's (at least) two plants going by the name S. x
cottetii; the prostrate shrub you mention, and a large shrub growing to
8-10 feet. I'd believe that the name correctly refers to the former, but
when the OP describes the plant as a tree one wonders if that is indeed
what she has.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Well I don't know, I'm not an expert, I've now had a look in my
"Bean"(eighth edition) and it says it's a cross between S. Retusa and S.
Nigricans and is described as a procumbent shrub. There may well be another
large tree having the same name, however, it should be fairly easy the OP to
decide which one it has. :-)

Donwill