GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Leggy Courgettes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143134-leggy-courgettes.html)

scrambled egg 27-04-2006 05:06 PM

Leggy Courgettes

My courgettes in 3inch pots are a bit leggy - about 6 inches form
compost surface before the leaves. I am going to transplant into
10inch pots - should I just bury them deep enough so that the first
leaves are just above the surface of the compost? Will they be OK, or
should I start again?

Oxymel of Squill 27-04-2006 05:19 PM

Leggy Courgettes

start again, it's called damping off. Use a light spray of Cheshunt Compound
on sowing and on emergence to prevent legginess

scrambled egg 27-04-2006 05:42 PM

Leggy Courgettes

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:19:02 +0100, "Oxymel of Squill"
wrote:

start again, it's called damping off. Use a light spray of Cheshunt Compound
on sowing and on emergence to prevent legginess

Are you sure - I thought that Damping Off actually destroyed the stem
rather than it just being leggy. I think they are leggy because I
started them off with the pots on the spare bedroom floor and they
grew towards the window.

.. .

shazzbat 27-04-2006 05:52 PM

Leggy Courgettes

wrote:

start again, it's called damping off. Use a light spray of Cheshunt
Compound
on sowing and on emergence to prevent legginess

Are you sure - I thought that Damping Off actually destroyed the stem
rather than it just being leggy. I think they are leggy because I
started them off with the pots on the spare bedroom floor and they
grew towards the window.

I think so too.

Steve

Janet Galpin 27-04-2006 07:17 PM

Leggy Courgettes

The message
from "shazzbat" contains these words:

wrote:

start again, it's called damping off. Use a light spray of Cheshunt
Compound
on sowing and on emergence to prevent legginess

Are you sure - I thought that Damping Off actually destroyed the stem
rather than it just being leggy. I think they are leggy because I
started them off with the pots on the spare bedroom floor and they
grew towards the window.

I think so too.

Steve

Agreed. Not damping off, which is total keeling over, but simply lack of
light. You can certainly bury tomatoes and plants that can develop roots
from the stem but I'm not sure about courgettes. Six inches does seem
rather alarmingly leggy and I'd be inclined to sow some more. You could
in the meantime try to salvage the first lot by planting on into just
slightly larger pots and just an inch or two deeper.
Janet G