Old 28-04-2006, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Head Gardener for Gardener's World wanted

In a trade mag. today " Seven months contract. Responsible for
maintaining and developing the BBC's flagship garden at Berryfields in
Warwickshire, you'll need to balance the demands of a hands-on
gardening role with the ability to manage a small off-screen team. As
well as the proven ability to schedule, supervise and line-manage
assistant gardening staff, you'll need a strong horticultural
background encompassing plant knowledge and practical skills at a more
senior level" etc. etc. etc.
Applications to be received by 4th May. bbc.co.uk/jobs or 0870 333
1330

Old 28-04-2006, 07:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...
In a trade mag. today " Seven months contract. Responsible for
maintaining and developing the BBC's flagship garden at Berryfields in
Warwickshire, you'll need to balance the demands of a hands-on
gardening role with the ability to manage a small off-screen team.

You mean the presenters don't really do all the planning and work they
pretend to do?

Gasp!

--
Brian

Old 28-04-2006, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Brian Watson wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...
In a trade mag. today " Seven months contract. Responsible for
maintaining and developing the BBC's flagship garden at Berryfields in
Warwickshire, you'll need to balance the demands of a hands-on
gardening role with the ability to manage a small off-screen team.

You mean the presenters don't really do all the planning and work they
pretend to do?

Gasp!

Amazing, innit? ;-) A great many years ago, one of the then famous TV
gardening presenters came to Jersey to do a programme and part of it
was shot at my outlaws garden. We were all there watching for the
great man to do his thing. He was one of the real 'sons of the soil'
types, down to earth, long-term garden expert etc. There was to be a
piece of him planting a shrub in one of the borders and then chatting
to my outlaws about their garden. Before the piece was done, we were
all absolutely gobsmacked to see a minion walk over, dig what was
really quite a small hole and tidily place both shovel and shrub beside
it so that the 'star' could simply lower plant into hole on camera!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 28-04-2006, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Indeed. You also wonder about the army of tradespeople and labourers
that must be beavering away on those house-makeover programmes while
the presenter stands there with a paintbrush in her hand looking
moderately glamorous.

Old 28-04-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Martin wrote:
On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 06:06:15 +0100, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
oups.com...
In a trade mag. today " Seven months contract. Responsible for
maintaining and developing the BBC's flagship garden at Berryfields in
Warwickshire, you'll need to balance the demands of a hands-on
gardening role with the ability to manage a small off-screen team.

You mean the presenters don't really do all the planning and work they
pretend to do?

They have a dedicated off-screen team of Garden Gnomes to help them
--

There is also advertised what sounds to me a much more interesting job.
This is for the Horticultural Researchers Pool . They're looking for
people to be contacted when suitable vacancies arise and employment
will be of varying lengths and often at short notice. "You'll be
required to work across a range of prestigious BBC TWO commissions
including Gardener's World and output from the Tatton flower show
amonst others. Working with producers and series producers, you'll
drive stories, source stunning locations and cast passionate
enthusiasts." The applicants will be horticulturally trained and need
an excellent knowledge of all aspects of planting and plant history
etc. etc. Again it's on their web site and is Ref. 81556
www.bbc.co.uk/jobs
I think there are a few urglers who could drop into that 'occasional
slot' quite easily. Applications to be in by 4th May.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-04-2006, 01:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:

"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...
In a trade mag. today " Seven months contract. Responsible for
maintaining and developing the BBC's flagship garden at Berryfields in
Warwickshire, you'll need to balance the demands of a hands-on
gardening role with the ability to manage a small off-screen team.

You mean the presenters don't really do all the planning and work they
pretend to do?

Gasp!

If a vacancy comes up for the job of putting mud under Monty's
fingernails, please let me know

Janet

I think that shows admirable restraint, Janet. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-04-2006, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...

Brian Watson wrote:

You mean the presenters don't really do all the planning and work they
pretend to do?

Gasp!

Amazing, innit? ;-) A great many years ago, one of the then famous TV
gardening presenters came to Jersey to do a programme and part of it
was shot at my outlaws garden. We were all there watching for the
great man to do his thing. He was one of the real 'sons of the soil'
types, down to earth, long-term garden expert etc. There was to be a
piece of him planting a shrub in one of the borders and then chatting
to my outlaws about their garden. Before the piece was done, we were
all absolutely gobsmacked to see a minion walk over, dig what was
really quite a small hole and tidily place both shovel and shrub beside
it so that the 'star' could simply lower plant into hole on camera!

Quite depressing, really, in both cases.

--
Brian

Old 29-04-2006, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"Sacha" wrote in message
ps.com...

[...]

Now THAT looks like a REAL gardening job with a proper measure of journalism
and programme-making too.

--
Brian

Old 29-04-2006, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Brian Watson wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

that is not fair; who was it??
Please please.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-04-2006, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Brian Watson wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Not on your life. ;-) But he's one of the several who has gone to the
great garden in the sky! This must have been back in the late 70s, I
think.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-04-2006, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Please please.

Not on your life. ;-)

:-))

I know 'just' what you mean. We had an International Entertainment Artist in
the next Stateroom to ours on our recent cruise and it would be very
unethical to state a name and the content of our conversations.

Of course 'some people' would name drop, but sorry, having met very many
famous people in my time, that is not my cup of tea :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 30-04-2006, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Big

OK then.

We now have some so called gardening presenters and a head gardener ??

As a head gardener nowadays is a suit and tie job.

So who actually does all the work.

Where do all the gardeners come from, is there an agency for contract
gardeners, or is the whole job put out to contract ??

Old 01-05-2006, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Big

OK they have advertised for a head gardener, do they also advertise
for the team.

IRL, Head gardeners and their team.

Janet

Old 01-05-2006, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Mr Big contains these words:

OK then.

We now have some so called gardening presenters and a head gardener ??

As a head gardener nowadays is a suit and tie job.

It isn't. Head gardeners I know (real life, not media) wear jeans
(both sexes).

So who actually does all the work.

IRL, Head gardeners and their team.

I was looking at the Abbey Gardens site yesterday and saw that while
Mike Nelhams who is the Curator of the garden does many lecture tours,
as we knew, so does the Head Gardener *and* the Propagator does cruise
lectures. Obviously, these can be jobs with both more interest and
more lucrative interest than many of us had realised!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 01-05-2006, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

IRL, Head gardeners and their team.

I was looking at the Abbey Gardens site yesterday and saw that while
Mike Nelhams who is the Curator of the garden does many lecture tours,
as we knew, so does the Head Gardener *and* the Propagator does cruise
lectures. Obviously, these can be jobs with both more interest and
more lucrative interest than many of us had realised!
--
Sacha

During the various different legs of our Cruise Around the World on Aurora
during January, February and March this year, we had many Gerden themed
lectures by guest speakers ranging from the Gardens at Buckingham Palace,
Kew Gardens and talks on Flower growing for display amongst others.

Each of the five legs, Southampton to San Fransisco, San Francisco to
Sydney, Sydney to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Mumbai and Mumbai to Southampton
had a different set of Theme Lectures and Star Entertainers and Cabaret
Stars, one of which had the State Rom next to ours:-))

Anyone never having been cruising, it is strongly recommended as these
artists/lectures are travelling with you and are available for a 'friendly
chat'.

And if you are into painting and photography, there are lessons/instruction
on these themes as well. Want to get your garden water colour painting up to
perfection? Take a long cruise :-))

Always well attended.