Old 28-04-2006, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eleni

Default compost for home delivery

I'm trying to find somewhere that will deliver some peat free general
purpose compost. But, the cheapest delivery charge I can find is £20, which
seems kind of expensive for say a 75l bag that costs £4.

Any ideas please?

Eleni.

Old 28-04-2006, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gary croft

Eleni wrote:

I'm trying to find somewhere that will deliver some peat free general
purpose compost. But, the cheapest delivery charge I can find is £20,
which seems kind of expensive for say a 75l bag that costs £4.

Any ideas please?

Eleni.

Your location may help a budding web wizard find you a local supplier?

Old 28-04-2006, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Craddock

"Eleni" wrote in message
k...
I'm trying to find somewhere that will deliver some peat free
general purpose compost. But, the cheapest delivery charge I can
find is £20, which seems kind of expensive for say a 75l bag that
costs £4.

Any ideas please?

Eleni.

Your local garden centre should do local deliveries at little or no
cost to you.
--
Rod

My real address is rodtheweedygardeneratmyweedyisp
Just remove the weedy bits
and transplant the appropriate symbol at.

Old 28-04-2006, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Eleni" wrote in message
k...
I'm trying to find somewhere that will deliver some peat free general
purpose compost. But, the cheapest delivery charge I can find is £20,
which seems kind of expensive for say a 75l bag that costs £4.

Any ideas please?

Eleni.

CPL distribution sell compost manure etc minimum order charge £20
http://www.cpldistribution.co.uk/

Old 29-04-2006, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

..

Your location may help a budding web wizard find you a local supplier?

ah...Sheffield!

Does Sheffield have a recycling scheme which includes garden waste? (Might
be done by a contractor)

We have a superb scheme here on the Isle of Wight, which would appear to be
far superior than some other Islands by the way, but we can have a 1 cubic
metre builders bag of compost delivered for £35.00.

As a guide for distance, the plant is as near as damb it in the middle of
the Island and as the Island is 23 miles by 13, their 'maximum' delivery
distance would be up to about 12 miles.

Any other Council offering this facility?

Mike

Old 29-04-2006, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Further my earlier posting and following a link provided in another thread
in this newsgroup, I found the following which may be a start :-))

1. Peter Bray
Peter Bray is the Home Compost Advisor for Bradford, Kirklees and Sheffield
http://www.wrap.org.uk/recyclenow/ho...osting/in_your... (similar
pages)
Last updated: Tue 18 Apr 2006

2. Sheffield City Council
Sheffield City Council is working with WRAP (the Waste & Resources Action
Programme) to encourage people throughout the UK to home compost. Please see
below for the home compost bins on offer in your area.
http://www.wrap.org.uk/recyclenow/ho...osting/in_your... (similar
pages)
Last updated: Mon 27 Feb 2006

:-))

Hope that helps

The link will cover all the UK just feed your Post Code in.

Mike
www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

.

Old 29-04-2006, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

http://www.recyclenow.com/home_compo...your_area.html

Try that one, it is complete, whereas the one below has bits missing :-((

.

Old 29-04-2006, 02:05 PM
Registered User

I know this may sound wierd but have you tried your milkman?

I don't have milk delivered but can always ring up the depot and have one or more bags of compost delivered (free of charge) via the milkman.
Try ringing your local milk depot....they usually have a good selection of composts.

Starglo
Old 01-05-2006, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eleni

"starglo" wrote in message

I know this may sound wierd but have you tried your milkman?

I don't have milk delivered but can always ring up the depot and have
one or more bags of compost delivered (free of charge) via the
milkman.
Try ringing your local milk depot....they usually have a good selection
of composts.

Starglo

Thanks for the ideas. My local Council is fairly useless btw, as is the
local milkman, and I've never been able to find any garden centres that will
deliver - it's hard when you live in the middle of a City and have no
transport. However, I may give CPL a try.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eleni

"davej" wrote in message
taxi?

I have health problems - I can manage to drag compost round the garden but
not in and out of a car...

Old 01-05-2006, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Eleni writes

"davej" wrote in message
taxi?

I have health problems - I can manage to drag compost round the garden but
not in and out of a car...

If you had space to store a few bags, you could hire a 'man with a van'
of the sort that do light removals. They'd do the loading and unloading
for you, and would be less worried than a taxi driver about messing up
their nice vehicle with your compost.

You could think about finding a local gardening society (even in a city
there must be one) - once you have got to know people, someone would be
willing to deliver compost as a favour if you're pulling your weight in
the society in other ways.

--
Kay
Old 01-05-2006, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Eleni" wrote in message
k...

"davej" wrote in message
taxi?

I have health problems - I can manage to drag compost round the garden
but not in and out of a car...

Even if you were in good health and could manage to hump the stuff in and
out of the car you would eventually end up with a bad back.
If you don't need the min order charge of £20 that CPL apply then club
together with a few other folk.
Just as an aside- on the odd occasions that I buy heavy material from a
garden centre I always insist they load it for me, in the vain hope that
they might start supplying the stuff in smaller sizes at a sensible price.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Eleni" contains these words:

"davej" wrote in message
taxi?

I have health problems - I can manage to drag compost round the garden
but
not in and out of a car...

So a taxi is ideal, you can ask the driver to do both.

Janet

Sorri luv carnt do thart for ya -Ealth & Safeley yanose :-)