Old 29-04-2006, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Default Pond - fish - cats

I am in the last stages of finishing a pond, and hopefully will introduce
fish this weekend or next. But, lately I have noticed a neighbours cat
sitting on my garden wall....................looks like it could be problem.
I recall my dad using one of those electronic cat deterrent
things......totally useless. Any suggestions for humanely keeping the little
beggar away appreciated.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 29-04-2006, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"BoyPete" wrote in message
I am in the last stages of finishing a pond, and hopefully will introduce
fish this weekend or next. But, lately I have noticed a neighbours cat
sitting on my garden wall....................looks like it could be

problem.
I recall my dad using one of those electronic cat deterrent
things......totally useless.

Must have the wrong one.

Our's is superb

:-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 29-04-2006, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

BoyPete wrote:
I am in the last stages of finishing a pond, and hopefully will introduce
fish this weekend or next. But, lately I have noticed a neighbours cat
sitting on my garden wall....................looks like it could be problem.
I recall my dad using one of those electronic cat deterrent
things......totally useless. Any suggestions for humanely keeping the little
beggar away appreciated.
--

If you're introducing plants or have already done so, the fish will use
those to hide. However, you could try netting the pond for a while or,

Old 29-04-2006, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
doug adams

"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...

BoyPete wrote:
[...]

*************
A 2/2 is very efficient. - but a
A twin-barrelled twelve bore is much better.
Doug.
*************

Old 29-04-2006, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"BoyPete" wrote
I am in the last stages of finishing a pond, and hopefully will introduce
fish this weekend or next. But, lately I have noticed a neighbours cat
sitting on my garden wall....................looks like it could be
problem. I recall my dad using one of those electronic cat deterrent
things......totally useless. Any suggestions for humanely keeping the
little beggar away appreciated.

I've only ever heard of one cat that consistently caught Goldfish so what
are you worried about?
A heron will take the lot!
I've even heard of young fish in a garden pond being taken by a Kingfisher.
A hot humid thundery night might kill the lot if it's a pond full of
(de)oxygenating plants!
A frog with Red Leg will infect and kill your fish nastily.
Unless you are very unlucky a cat is not going to be your problem.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-04-2006, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"BoyPete" wrote in message
I am in the last stages of finishing a pond, and hopefully will introduce
fish this weekend or next. But, lately I have noticed a neighbours cat
sitting on my garden wall....................looks like it could be
problem. I recall my dad using one of those electronic cat deterrent
things......totally useless. Any suggestions for humanely keeping the
little beggar away appreciated.
--
ßôyþëtë

I have a Siamese (tom) that systematically visits a neighbours pond and
kills all fish (and probably a few frogs). The pond is now netted.
I do not have a lot of sympathy with anyone that imprisons fish in a *small*
garden pond.
A well designed large pond presents a problem to both cats and herons.
Sorry to be such a bitch but a natural wildlife pond is really interesting,
whereas a small fish pond must be one of the most boring and tortuous
devices ever invented. Blame it on C.Dimock

Old 30-04-2006, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Mike wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
I am in the last stages of finishing a pond, and hopefully will
introduce fish this weekend or next. But, lately I have noticed a
neighbours cat sitting on my garden wall....................looks
like it could be problem. I recall my dad using one of those
electronic cat deterrent things......totally useless.

Must have the wrong one.

Our's is superb

:-))

Mike

What make is yours then?
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 30-04-2006, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete

Thanks for replies
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 30-04-2006, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

A hot humid thundery night might kill the lot if it's a pond full of
(de)oxygenating plants!

Interesting. How does that work?

Unless you are very unlucky a cat is not going to be your problem.

I think mink will take fish too.

Janet.

All our cats take fish but are very considerate and only take large ones!,
as the gold fish breed at an alarming rate its quite a useful population
control measure. down here its otters that are the main problem (never
thought I would live long enough to here people complain there are too many
otters :~))

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 30-04-2006, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
[...]

He didn't say it was a small pond, though. We have two large fishponds
and the local heron has had a go at one of them. It hasn't discovered
the other fishpond yet because it's quite new. The wildlife pond (ex
duck pond) is being left that way so that the frogs find it and have a
chance to breed without fish eating the eggs and the tads.......
there's always something.....
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-04-2006, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"BoyPete" wrote in message
[...]

You are of course quite right. I was not trying to annoy Boypete and I am
certain he and you know what you are doing.
I have a bee in my bonnet at the moment.
Last week a neighbour built a small pond for wildlife. He now has tadpoles,
large exotic fish, a fountain /uv light, all contained within a black
plastic liner, half of which is above water level.
The pond is in full sun and as yet contains *no* plants. If the tadpoles
make it to froghood they will never be able to get out of the plastic
prison.
I really hope one of my cats or a Heron eats the lot and puts them out of
their misery.

www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Old 30-04-2006, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

snip
[...]

Have you tried explaining to him that the frogs need to be able to get
out! What a clot - presumably he thinks someone helicopters in and
airlifts them out - dragonflies, perhaps! Our fishpond has a little
island in one corner and the frogs happily hop in and out using that
and the wildlife pond has large, mostly flat stones all around the edge
with some of them dipping into the water. In frog season, I've seen
people weight one end of a plank and slide it into the water, resting
the other end against the edge of the pond, thus making a frog ladder.
He really must put in some plants, though. I'm always slightly amazed
at people who want to make their pond water absolutely clear because
nothing is more unsettling to the fish, apparently. And who wants to
stare at a plastic or cement pond shell, anyway?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 30-04-2006, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes
A well designed large pond presents a problem to both cats and herons.
Sorry to be such a bitch but a natural wildlife pond is really interesting,
whereas a small fish pond must be one of the most boring and tortuous
devices ever invented. Blame it on C.Dimock

I think you're being unfair ;-) I've never seen here design a 'water
feature' which has anything living in it.

--
Kay
Old 30-04-2006, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Janet Baraclough" wrote
after"Bob Hobden"
wrote
A hot humid thundery night might kill the lot if it's a pond full of
(de)oxygenating plants!

Interesting. How does that work?

Wilst I don't know the exact mechanics, it depletes the oxygen in the water
which will already be depleted because, like most plants, pond plants stop
producing oxygen at night and instead increase the carbon dioxide content by
respiration.

It's a common cause of mass fish deaths in overcrowded (fish and plants)
ponds.

It's also why I often bleet on about not turning off pond pumps at night, in
fact it's the time they should be running.

Unless you are very unlucky a cat is not going to be your problem.

I think mink will take fish too.

And otters! :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 30-04-2006, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Charlie Pridham" wrote after...

"Janet Baraclough" answered"Bob Hobden":

A hot humid thundery night might kill the lot if it's a pond full of
(de)oxygenating plants!

Interesting. How does that work?

Unless you are very unlucky a cat is not going to be your problem.

I think mink will take fish too.

All our cats take fish but are very considerate and only take large ones!,
as the gold fish breed at an alarming rate its quite a useful population
control measure. down here its otters that are the main problem (never
thought I would live long enough to here people complain there are too
many
otters :~))

Charlie, that's interesting, do they kill and eat them or just bring them to
you alive just to prove how clever they are? The only cat I know that was a
good fish catcher used to do the latter.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden