Old 29-04-2006, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

Default Hosepipe ban oversimplified on TV?

I've now seen this said on TV twice. On Gardener's World, they drew attention
to their underground irrigation hose and said "Of course we can't use that
now" although they collect grey water in a VERY large underground water butt.
And tonight on C4 News in a drought-gardening interview with Kim Wilde, again
attention was drawn to an irrigation hose and again "Of course we can't use
that now". But why not- if it's used only for grey water or rainwater?

What I'd like to find out is whether or not it is legal in any given area to
use hosepipe to water using rainwater or grey water. If we can be taken to
court and fined, then there must be a specific law stating what we can and
cannot do in such circumstances. It can't be so vague as to ban all watering
using hosepipe regardless of the source of the water- surely.....

If anyone can point the way to finding this out I'd be very grateful.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 29-04-2006, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

I can't give you any definitive info on your cry for help.
In West Yorkshire during the 1995/96 drought crisis/farce YWA gave
conflicting advice both verbally and in writing as to what you could and
could not do.
It appears that each Water Company has it's own interpretation of the rules
so if you really want to be certain, then you should write to your local
Water Company (recorded delivery) and ask for written clarification.
At least when and if you are taken to Court you will be able to prove you
asked for advice.

Old 30-04-2006, 01:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man

In article m, VX
wrote:

[...]

The Temporary Hosepipe Ban provisions of the Water Industry Act 1991
specify only that the use of a hosepipe connected to the mains supply
can be restricted. It is perfectly legal to connect a hosepipe to any
reservoir such as a water butt -- but you won't get much flow unless
you also use an underwater pump such as this:
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/s.nl/sc....A/id.16880/.f

However, despite their water-efficiency, you can't currently use drip
irrigation systems connected to a hosepipe which is connected to the
mains supply. But I'm hearing rumours that the water companies may be
coming to their senses and bowing to pressure to exempt such systems
from their current hosepipe restrictions.

Tonight's Ch4 "news" programme on the water shortage was nothing more
than a PR video for the water companies. It was very short on facts and
demonstrated laughably superficial research.
Old 30-04-2006, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
nambucca

I have very clear letters from 2 different water authorities stating that
its perfectly legal to use a hosepipe from Water Butts or grey water sources
You can even fill your Water Butt from the mains !!!!!

Daft as it sounds you can even put a pump in your swimming Pool or pond or
fountain and attach that to a hose

Since you are not restricted in filling swimming pools , ponds and fountains
............you can fill a pool at one end and pump it out to water your
garden at the other !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can also use your pressure washer to clean your Patio all day every day
at 500gallons an hour just dont use it to wash the car or water the garden
!!

But use mains water and hose to water your veggies 200ft down the garden
..........NOPE .........gotta use a watering can

Only a Drought Order can stop the crazy rules but since that will stop
Automatic Car washes and the watering of Council parks and Golf Courses they
dont want to do that because its peoples livelihoods

Across the South numerous Garden Centres/Nurseries are going out of business
because no one is buying plants they cant water
The loss of livelihoods in those indudtries will dwarf everything else but
they dont count .........garden watering only accounts for 1% of water usage
but the powers that be are too stupid to see that there are numerous other
"non essential " water uses that it would be more sensible to ban instead of
hitting keen gardeners

Since the Water Companies were party to the Water Serviices act 1991 and
ONLY Margaret Becket and the House of Commons can change the terms of it to
level the playing field its down to eveeryone writing to their MPs demanding
a change in the crazy penalisation of gardeners

Old 04-05-2006, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man

In article , nambucca
wrote:

I have very clear letters from 2 different water authorities stating that
its perfectly legal to use a hosepipe from Water Butts or grey water sources
You can even fill your Water Butt from the mains !!!!!

Quite right - good to see some water companies telling the truth. Which
ones are they?

Old 10-05-2006, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Thu, 4 May 2006 16:27:57 +0100, Stan The Man wrote
(in message ):

In article , nambucca
wrote:

I have very clear letters from 2 different water authorities stating that
its perfectly legal to use a hosepipe from Water Butts or grey water
sources
You can even fill your Water Butt from the mains !!!!!

Quite right - good to see some water companies telling the truth. Which
ones are they?

Hmmm. Seems the truth is not that widely known!

Can anyone point me to a way to see/read/copy the text of the relevant act
itself- either on the web (that would be very handy) or somewhere else?

I would feel somewaht reassured if I had it on my PC so I could read it
anytime I wanted, er, reassurance.....

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 10-05-2006, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 1:42:16 +0100, Stan The Man wrote
(in message ):

The Temporary Hosepipe Ban provisions of the Water Industry Act 1991
specify only that the use of a hosepipe connected to the mains supply
can be restricted.

I found the Act itself he

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1991...10056_en_1.htm

but can't find that section- any ideas where to look exactly?

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 10-05-2006, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Wed, 10 May 2006 12:05:44 +0100, VX wrote
(in message m):

Can anyone point me to a way to see/read/copy the text of the relevant act
itself- either on the web (that would be very handy) or somewhere else?

Ok I found it- (sorry I'm sending essentially the same post twice in this
thread)

Old 10-05-2006, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

wrote:

I have very clear letters from 2 different water authorities stating that
its perfectly legal to use a hosepipe from Water Butts or grey water
sources
You can even fill your Water Butt from the mains !!!!!

Quite right - good to see some water companies telling the truth. Which
ones are they?

I did find this- I wonder if this applies to lying about the current
restrictions?

Provision of false information.

********207.‹(1)**If any person, in furnishing any information or making any
application under or for the purposes of any provision of this Act, makes any
statement which he knows to be false in a material particular, or recklessly
makes any statement which is false in a material particular, he shall be
guilty of an offence and liable‹
(a)**on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum;
€ (b)**on conviction on indictment, to a fine.
****(2)**Proceedings for an offence under subsection (1) above shall not be
instituted except by or with the consent of the Secretary of State, the
Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food or the Director of Public
Prosecutions.
*

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 10-05-2006, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Wed, 10 May 2006 12:17:16 +0100, VX wrote
(in message m):

The Temporary Hosepipe Ban provisions of the Water Industry Act 1991
specify only that the use of a hosepipe connected to the mains supply
can be restricted.

I found the Act itself he

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1991...10056_en_1.htm

but can't find that section- any ideas where to look exactly?

Ok I did find it eventually- it is section 76 on this url:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1991...n_9.htm#mdiv76

this is the whole section on temp hosepipe bans and it says:

Temporary hosepipe bans.

********76.‹(1)**If a water undertaker is of the opinion that a serious
deficiency of water available for distribution by that undertaker exists or
is threatened, that undertaker may, for such period as it thinks necessary,
prohibit or restrict, as respects the whole or any part of its area, the use
for the purpose of‹
(a)**watering private gardens; or
€ (b)**washing private motor cars,
of any water supplied by that undertaker and drawn through a hosepipe or
similar apparatus.

****(2)**A water undertaker imposing a prohibition or restriction under this
section shall, before it comes into force, give public notice of it, and of
the date on which it will come into force, in two or more newspapers
circulating in the locality affected by the prohibition or restriction.

****(3)**Any person who, at a time when a prohibition or restriction under
this section is in force, contravenes its provisions shall be guilty of an
offence and liable, on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding level 3 on
the standard scale.

****(4)**Where a prohibition or restriction is imposed by a water undertaker
under this section, charges made by the undertaker for the use of a hosepipe
or similar apparatus shall be subject to a reasonable reduction and, in the
case of a charge paid in advance, the undertaker shall make any necessary
repayment or adjustment.

****(5)**In this section "private motor car" means any mechanically propelled
vehicle intended or adapted for use on roads other than‹
(a)**a public service vehicle, within the meaning of the [1981 c.*14.] Public
Passenger Vehicles Act 1981; or
€ (b)**a goods vehicle within the meaning of the [1988 c.*52.] Road Traffic
Act 1988,
and includes any vehicle drawn by a private motor car.

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 10-05-2006, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

VX writes

Ok I did find it eventually- it is section 76 on this url:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1991...n_9.htm#mdiv76

this is the whole section on temp hosepipe bans and it says:

Temporary hosepipe bans.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*76.‹(1)Â*Â*If a water undertaker is of the opinion that a serious
deficiency of water available for distribution by that undertaker exists or
is threatened, that undertaker may, for such period as it thinks necessary,
prohibit or restrict, as respects the whole or any part of its area, the use
for the purpose of‹
(a)Â*Â*watering private gardens; or
€ (b)Â*Â*washing private motor cars,
of any water supplied by that undertaker and drawn through a hosepipe or
similar apparatus.

Interesting! That could be argued to apply to 'grey water' unless you've
been filling your bath and washing machine with rainwater as opposed to
your household water system.

--
Kay

What, exactly, is the truth about the SE hosepipe ban? Jupiter United Kingdom 10 24-05-2006 12:40 PM
Hosepipe ban, power washer, water butt, pump - X-post David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 59 08-05-2006 09:52 AM
Beat the hosepipe ban! dyofix Marketplace 2 02-05-2006 01:32 PM
Hosepipe ban and RHS United Kingdom 8 31-03-2006 02:43 AM
Hosepipe ban Stan The Man United Kingdom 33 23-06-2005 09:31 PM