GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Propagating from an olive tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143280-propagating-olive-tree.html)

Mike 30-04-2006 09:28 PM

Propagating from an olive tree

Can anyone please explain how I can propogate from my large olive tree?
Can cuttings be taken, and if so how & when?

Thanks very much

Mike
East Sussex

scrambled egg 30-04-2006 10:05 PM

Propagating from an olive tree

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:28:38 +0100, Mike
wrote:

Can anyone please explain how I can propogate from my large olive tree?
Can cuttings be taken, and if so how & when?

Thanks very much

Mike
East Sussex

Propagation: None of the cultivated varieties can be propagated by
seed. Seed propagated trees revert to the original small-fruited wild
variety. The seedlings can, of course, be grafted or chip budded with
material from desired cultivars. The variety of an olive tree can also
be changed by bark grafting or top working. Another method of
propagation is transplanting suckers that grow at the base of mature
trees. However, these would have to be grafted if the suckers grew
from the seedling rootstock.

A commonly practiced method is propagation from cuttings. Twelve to
fourteen inch long, one to three inch wide cuttings from the two year
old wood of a mature tree is treated with a rooting hormone, planted
in a light rooting medium and kept moist. Trees grown from such
cuttings can be further grafted with wood from another cultivar.
Cutting grown trees bear fruit in about four years.
http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/olive.html

I see this says four years but I think I read somewhere recently that
you will not get fruit from new plants for something like ten years.

Mike 01-05-2006 01:25 PM

wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much for the info

Mike