GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Doesn't anybody......? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143313-doesnt-anybody.html)

Sue 01-05-2006 12:34 PM

Doesn't anybody......?

Doesn't anybody grow cleomes then?

I recently posted a question about germinating cleomes but had no replies.

I have grown them from seed for a few seasons now but have always had
limited success with germination. At best sparse and at worst not a
sausage.....well not a cleome at any rate.

I do may best to follow recommendations on packet and have used new seed
each time but not necessarily from same stable.

Any ideas please?

Sue W.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 01-05-2006 02:15 PM

Doesn't anybody......?

"Sue" wrote in message
Doesn't anybody grow cleomes then?

I recently posted a question about germinating cleomes but had no replies.

I have grown them from seed for a few seasons now but have always had
limited success with germination. At best sparse and at worst not a
sausage.....well not a cleome at any rate.

I do may best to follow recommendations on packet and have used new seed
each time but not necessarily from same stable.

Any ideas please?

Sue W.

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

OK-- I grew these once many moons ago and I do not remember having any
problems. Never tried then since because I don't like them (sorry).
I do not believe your technique will be at fault as you do not appear to be
alone in having problems. My guess is that there is a batch of poor seed
around. The only other bit of info I found is that germination is better if
the temperature oscillates by 10F between night and day (perhaps it's true)
Flash the cash and this site may give you an explanation:-)
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/479244/

Do let us know what you find out.

Sue 01-05-2006 02:30 PM

Doesn't anybody......?

The only other bit of info I found is that germination is better if
the temperature oscillates by 10F between night and day (perhaps it's
true)

That's interesting Rupert, because yesterday eve I put the latest seemingly
failed sowings in the unheated greenhouse.

They will certainly have fluctuating temperatures now.

I will let you know of any success.

Sue W

Ornata 02-05-2006 11:53 AM

Doesn't anybody......?

Sue wrote:
The only other bit of info I found is that germination is better if
the temperature oscillates by 10F between night and day (perhaps it's
true)

That's interesting Rupert, because yesterday eve I put the latest seemingly
failed sowings in the unheated greenhouse.

They will certainly have fluctuating temperatures now.

I will let you know of any success.

Sue W

Yes. Fluctuating temperatures are indeed the key. Last year I sowed
some seed in a heated propagator and after a few weeks nothing had
happened. As soon as I took them out of the propagator, exposing them
to differing day and night temperatures, they germinated. This year I
got excellent germination from saved seed in the greenhouse.