Old 01-05-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gardening_Convert

Default keeping the cat off the seed beds ??

I have a cat which keeps using my newly planted seeds beds as litter
trays.

Obviously I don't want to hurt her or other cats and I want to be
organic .

So are there any ways I can keep her away from the seed beds.

I have at the moment covered them with fleece but this is not very
attractive !

I did see on an episode of Gardeners world that they soaked a tea bag
in something and then dug it into the ground , anyone know what it was
they did ?

please only sensible suggestions , nothing about killing cats as I do
actually like mine

Old 01-05-2006, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"Gardening_Convert" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a cat which keeps using my newly planted seeds beds as litter
trays.

Obviously I don't want to hurt her or other cats and I want to be
organic .

So are there any ways I can keep her away from the seed beds.

Squirt a Jif lemon about.

--
Brian

Old 01-05-2006, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message , Brian Watson
wrote

So are there any ways I can keep her away from the seed beds.

Squirt a Jif lemon about.

Urban Myth - it doesn't work

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 01-05-2006, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Brian Watson
wrote

So are there any ways I can keep her away from the seed beds.

Squirt a Jif lemon about.

Urban Myth - it doesn't work

It does in my garden. The cats walk on the paths because I only spray around
the plants.

--
Brian

Old 01-05-2006, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gardening_Convert writes
I have a cat which keeps using my newly planted seeds beds as litter
trays.

Obviously I don't want to hurt her or other cats and I want to be
organic .

So are there any ways I can keep her away from the seed beds.

I have at the moment covered them with fleece but this is not very
attractive !

I did see on an episode of Gardeners world that they soaked a tea bag
in something and then dug it into the ground , anyone know what it was
they did ?

please only sensible suggestions , nothing about killing cats as I do
actually like mine

Stick 6inch long twigs into the ground on the seed beds about 4-6 inches
apart. They've got enough intelligence that they won't actually impale
themselves.
--
Kay

Old 01-05-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Kay wrote in reply to Colin
I have a cat which keeps using my newly planted seeds beds as litter
trays.

Obviously I don't want to hurt her or other cats and I want to be
organic .

So are there any ways I can keep her away from the seed beds.

I have at the moment covered them with fleece but this is not very
attractive !

I did see on an episode of Gardeners world that they soaked a tea bag
in something and then dug it into the ground , anyone know what it was
they did ?

please only sensible suggestions , nothing about killing cats as I do
actually like mine

Stick 6inch long twigs into the ground on the seed beds about 4-6 inches
apart. They've got enough intelligence that they won't actually impale
themselves.

We used to use last years pea sticks just layed on the soil, and for added
safety make another seed bed somewhere else where you won't plant any seeds.
But don't tell the cats it's a dummy. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-05-2006, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
david taylor

Some of the cat repellant pellets (Puss Off) have a citrus scent similar to
Jif. Our cat used to smell them out of interest so I can believe anyone who
says Jif is not necessarily effective.
Chilli powder or Cayenne pepper works, my grandmother used to use it, and I
have used it to protect a newly sown lawn and bird food from squirrels.
You have to find a cheap source. (Asian Emporium)
Another treatment-but you may not consider it natural- is to put small jars
containing ammonia around the area to be protected.
A water on treatment based on Ammonium Alum will be a slow release agent for
ammonia and could be purchased under the name of Scent Off. This is claimed
to work for a range of animals and seemed to be effective on an allotment I
had adjacent to open country where an unknown culprit (not pigeon) either
rabbit or partridge) was eating brassicas.
Regards
David Taylor
"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Brian Watson
wrote

Old 02-05-2006, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"david taylor" wrote in message

A water on treatment based on Ammonium Alum will be a slow release agent
for ammonia and could be purchased under the name of Scent Off.

Great idea if you like your garden smelling of wee.

:-)

--
Brian

Old 18-05-2006, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tab

"F!FANNY" nospam@invalid wrote in message
I have the same problem. I got some cat repelant from a local garden
centre which uses plant oils. You spread the granules on the area to be
protected. Works great but needs to be replenished after rain, heavy
wind....

Had to laugh yesterday.New people across the road from me have two
cats.Their front garden
was not suitable for the cats messing and they were crossng the road to my
next door neighbours
front garden which has nice tended borders.New people have now improved
their garden and
and added nice borders with plants.Yesterday I was going to my car and here
was my next door neighbours cat doing its business in new peoples nice
borders.Do you think it was trying to tell them
something.