Old 03-05-2006, 11:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
David W.E. Roberts

Default Hosepipe ban, power washer, water butt, pump - X-post

Hi,

cross posted to gardening and DIY as probably relevant to both :-)

My plans to power wash the flags at the back of my Berkshire property have
been thwarted by the hosepipe ban.

As far as I can tell, power washers don't use that much water.

So is it feasible to put a pump in a rain water butt to feed water to the
power washer?

Has anyone tried this?

TIA

Dave R

Old 03-05-2006, 11:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
Hi,

cross posted to gardening and DIY as probably relevant to both :-)

My plans to power wash the flags at the back of my Berkshire property have
been thwarted by the hosepipe ban.

As far as I can tell, power washers don't use that much water.

I heard on the radio that you can actually use a hosepipe and as much
water as you like to clean your patio, but not to water the garden or
wash the car. It was a "isn't this ban stupid" type stories.

MBQ

Old 03-05-2006, 11:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

David W.E. Roberts wrote:
My plans to power wash the flags at the back of my Berkshire property have
been thwarted by the hosepipe ban.

AFAIK the ban only prohibits washing cars with a hosepipe, or
watering the garden. Pressure washing flags should be OK.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Chris Bacon wrote:
David W.E. Roberts wrote:
My plans to power wash the flags at the back of my Berkshire property have
been thwarted by the hosepipe ban.

AFAIK the ban only prohibits washing cars with a hosepipe, or
watering the garden. Pressure washing flags should be OK.

According to Karcher http://www.karcheruk.co.uk/news.php and Hozelock
http://www.hozelock.com/HoseRestrictions-faq.htm using a pressure
washer is OK, except for washing a car.

googling "hosepipe ban pressure washer" does, however, throw up other
links implying that pressure washers are not allowed.

MBQ

Old 03-05-2006, 12:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Triple Jumper

http://www.thameswater.co.uk/UK/regi...FAQ_000051.jsp

Washing flags is not explicitly banned, so you wouldn't be prosecuted.
It's a question of conscience.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Christian McArdle

Washing flags is not explicitly banned, so you wouldn't be prosecuted.
It's a question of conscience.

Indeed. I've put off laying a lawn for over a year due to water shortage,
even though the hosepipe ban has only just come in. Given that things don't
seem to be changing, we're now considering laying plastic grass!

Christian.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
John

In article ,
"Christian McArdle" wrote:

So is it feasible to put a pump in a rain water butt to feed water to the
power washer?

Mine worked just fine from a bucket. Used water surprisingly slowly, too.

Eh? So are you saying that they suck water - they don't require any
pressure [at the input end]?

As someone who has saved rainwater for years, and moreover who's now on
a meter so has an even greater interest in "water conservation", I'm
keen to know.

BTW my last pressure washer (29 quid at B&Q 18 months ago) packed in
(just gone dead) -- exactly as predicted by An Expert on the DIY group.
I was thinking of getting another cheapo job, next time I'm at B&Q or
Aldi. I hardly used the last one at all, but for one or two jobs (like
sluicing salt from under the car, or blasting garden furniture clean) it
was great. (I use buckets of rainwater and a special brush for the car:
_really_ good.)

John
Old 03-05-2006, 01:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Christian McArdle" wrote
Washing flags is not explicitly banned, so you wouldn't be
prosecuted.
It's a question of conscience.

Indeed. I've put off laying a lawn for over a year due to water
shortage, even though the hosepipe ban has only just come in. Given
that things don't seem to be changing, we're now considering laying
plastic grass!

If my Other Half wasn't so protective about his blessed lawns, I'd have
clover instead of grass for our front lawn. It faces north and is over
such rubbishy, stony soil that it's either thick with moss when shaded
in winter or dried out to a crisp in a hot summer spell. Clover seems to
stay green whatever the weather - you can mow it less often, forget the
weed and feed and scarifying, and have the bonus of red and/or white
fowers. Seems logical to me, but will he even entertain the idea? Not a
chance. :-/

--
Sue

Old 03-05-2006, 01:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Christian McArdle

Mine worked just fine from a bucket. Used water surprisingly slowly, too.

Eh? So are you saying that they suck water - they don't require any
pressure [at the input end]?

That is exactly what I'm saying.

BTW my last pressure washer (29 quid at B&Q 18 months ago) packed in
(just gone dead) -- exactly as predicted by An Expert on the DIY group.

Mine is just such a cheapie from the same shop at the same price. Except
that it has lasted for years despite horrendous abuse (like being left
outside unprotected over winter full of water).

Christian.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Wed, 3 May 2006 10:15:46 UTC, Triple Jumper
wrote:

http://www.thameswater.co.uk/UK/regi...FAQ_000051.jsp

Washing flags is not explicitly banned, so you wouldn't be prosecuted.
It's a question of conscience.

Being true for Thames Water doesn't make it true for other water
companies, though.

Old 03-05-2006, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
Mike

wrote:

http://www.thameswater.co.uk/UK/regi...FAQ_000051.jsp

Washing flags is not explicitly banned, so you wouldn't be prosecuted.
It's a question of conscience.

Being true for Thames Water doesn't make it true for other water
companies, though.

Same for Southern Water :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 03-05-2006, 02:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
PM

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.. .
Washing flags is not explicitly banned, so you wouldn't be prosecuted.
It's a question of conscience.

Indeed. I've put off laying a lawn for over a year due to water shortage,
even though the hosepipe ban has only just come in. Given that things

don't
seem to be changing, we're now considering laying plastic grass!

You are allowed to fill swimming pools and paddling pools though!
Why doncha just lay your lawn, bung a couple of paddling pools on it, fill
em up and puncture the sides? :-)

Old 03-05-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"PM" wrote in message

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.. .
Washing flags is not explicitly banned, so you wouldn't be prosecuted.
It's a question of conscience.

Indeed. I've put off laying a lawn for over a year due to water

shortage,
even though the hosepipe ban has only just come in. Given that things

don't
seem to be changing, we're now considering laying plastic grass!

You are allowed to fill swimming pools and paddling pools though!
Why doncha just lay your lawn, bung a couple of paddling pools on it, fill
em up and puncture the sides? :-)

Let the air out ;-) Don't puncture. You will need them for the same exercise
next week ;-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

What, exactly, is the truth about the SE hosepipe ban? Jupiter United Kingdom 10 24-05-2006 01:40 PM
Hosepipe ban oversimplified on TV? VX United Kingdom 11 10-05-2006 02:15 PM
Beat the hosepipe ban! dyofix Marketplace 2 02-05-2006 02:32 PM
Hosepipe ban and RHS United Kingdom 8 31-03-2006 03:43 AM
Hosepipe ban Stan The Man United Kingdom 33 23-06-2005 10:31 PM