Old 04-05-2006, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default OT - Alarm clock bird?

We have been woken up the last few mornings by a strange sound.........

It sounds like an alarm clock, but seems to be at different places in the
garden.

The sound is 4 high pitched tones of about one second each, followed by
about 3 seconds silence, then it starts again.

Anyone got any idea what it might be or where else to ask ??

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Old 04-05-2006, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , JennyC
writes
We have been woken up the last few mornings by a strange sound.........

It sounds like an alarm clock, but seems to be at different places in the
garden.

The sound is 4 high pitched tones of about one second each, followed by
about 3 seconds silence, then it starts again.

Anyone got any idea what it might be or where else to ask ??

Starling, imitating an alarm clock? Our all sounded like mobile phones
before they disappeared...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 04-05-2006, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:

We have been woken up the last few mornings by a strange sound.........

It sounds like an alarm clock, but seems to be at different places in the
garden.

The sound is 4 high pitched tones of about one second each, followed by
about 3 seconds silence, then it starts again.

Anyone got any idea what it might be or where else to ask ??

Almost certainly a bird. You're hearing it at the same time and area
because many birds return each night to a favourite roosting spot.

Starlings, blackbirds, and some corvids are very skilled mimics and
often learn to imitate domestic sounds such as mobile phone tones,
doorbells, dog whistles etc

Janet
Old 04-05-2006, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Klara contains these words:

Starling, imitating an alarm clock? Our all sounded like mobile phones
before they disappeared...

Mobile phones have disappeared from the Gatwick basin? You lucky people.

Janet.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
Starling, imitating an alarm clock? Our all sounded like mobile phones
before they disappeared...

Mobile phones have disappeared from the Gatwick basin? You lucky
people.

Janet.

I wish ... but our reception is diabolical, though - you'd think we live
on some little island off Scotland ;-)

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 04-05-2006, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Janet Baraclough wrote:snip
Almost certainly a bird. You're hearing it at the same time and area
because many birds return each night to a favourite roosting spot.

Starlings, blackbirds, and some corvids are very skilled mimics and
often learn to imitate domestic sounds such as mobile phone tones,
doorbells, dog whistles etc

Could well be a chaffinch, they make a sort of 'pink pink' noise from
time to time.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-05-2006, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...

Janet Baraclough wrote:snip
Almost certainly a bird. You're hearing it at the same time and area
because many birds return each night to a favourite roosting spot.

Starlings, blackbirds, and some corvids are very skilled mimics and
often learn to imitate domestic sounds such as mobile phone tones,
doorbells, dog whistles etc

Could well be a chaffinch, they make a sort of 'pink pink' noise from
time to time.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon

Thanks all,
I shall now go look for some sound bites........
Jenny

Old 05-05-2006, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ecky-h

oy,
You leave Scotland alone....

Old 06-05-2006, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara

"Klara"
Starling, imitating an alarm clock? Our all sounded like mobile phones
before they disappeared...

Janet Baraclough writes
Mobile phones have disappeared from the Gatwick basin? You lucky people.

Janet.

I wish ... but our reception is diabolical, though - you'd think we live
on some little island off Scotland ;-)
Klara, Gatwick basin

ecky-h writes

oy,
You leave Scotland alone....

Pax, no insult intended! Little islands off Scotland are lovely! -

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 06-05-2006, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

JennyC wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
ups.com...

Janet Baraclough wrote:snip
Almost certainly a bird. You're hearing it at the same time and area
because many birds return each night to a favourite roosting spot.

Starlings, blackbirds, and some corvids are very skilled mimics and
often learn to imitate domestic sounds such as mobile phone tones,
doorbells, dog whistles etc

Could well be a chaffinch, they make a sort of 'pink pink' noise from
time to time.
--

I haven't looked at this site myself but it could be helpful:
http://www.wildsong.co.uk/listening_room.html

Westwood tractor alarm twister About GardenBanter 0 26-03-2013 12:52 PM
Frost Alarm Steve Harris[_2_] United Kingdom 2 28-03-2012 01:53 PM
Remote Temp Alarm GARLAND HANSON Orchids 18 18-12-2004 09:49 PM
Clock gardens JD Gardening 1 14-05-2004 10:02 PM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM