GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   what's eating my clematis Armondii (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143558-whats-eating-my-clematis-armondii.html)

Gardening_Convert 05-05-2006 12:13 PM

what's eating my clematis Armondii

I have 2 clematis Armondii one that's well established and growing like
wildfire and the other which is not so established and the new growth
is being eaten away by something.

Leafs are gone and the stalk are also gone down little stumps in many
places :(

As I'm trying to be Organic is there anything I can do to stop this ?
What is likely to be doing this , slugs ?, snail ?, caterpillers ?

Do I need to go out at night with a torch and catch the little B****rs
that are doing this ?

K 05-05-2006 09:27 PM

what's eating my clematis Armondii

Gardening_Convert writes
I have 2 clematis Armondii one that's well established and growing like
wildfire and the other which is not so established and the new growth
is being eaten away by something.

Leafs are gone and the stalk are also gone down little stumps in many
places :(

As I'm trying to be Organic is there anything I can do to stop this ?
What is likely to be doing this , slugs ?, snail ?, caterpillers ?

Slugs and snails. They love clematis. Once they're established (ie high
into the trees) they're OK, but getting there is a problem.

Do I need to go out at night with a torch and catch the little B****rs
that are doing this ?

Yes, if you want to be organic.

--
Kay

Klara 06-05-2006 12:19 PM

what's eating my clematis Armondii

In message , K
writes
As I'm trying to be Organic is there anything I can do to stop this ?
What is likely to be doing this , slugs ?, snail ?, caterpillers ?

Slugs and snails. They love clematis. Once they're established (ie high
into the trees) they're OK, but getting there is a problem.

Do I need to go out at night with a torch and catch the little B****rs
that are doing this ?

Yes, if you want to be organic.

Had the same problem (though I suspected earwigs). Made a sort of tube
out of flypaper - hard to get, but you can still find it, and very
sticky and fiddly, but it worked! Nothing will go across it! Of course,
you have to water with care and go through the whole sticky business
again if it rains too much.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin