Old 06-05-2006, 05:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Horse poop and weeds (suggestions welcome)

I grabbed some free horse poop from the side of the road during the week.
The poop was bagged up and been sitting there I don't know how long.

Anyhow, when I opened the bags today there were a variety of weeds growing
in the poop, including some I suspect will germinate from root material left
in the ground. I pulled out what I could (going in the garbage bin) and
threw the poop in to a plastic compost bin (that some on the newsgroup call
darlek composters) where I age any poop I get before using it.

Whilst the compost bin is dark I suspect some of the weed material will
germinate again. Some I can pull out by hand or burn them with hot water
(though that would kill some of the worms as well). Heat from the poop may
kill some of the seed material although the compost bin is probably too
small to get a really high temperature. I could spray with glycosate.

Anyone with a bright idea to kill the weeds?

rob

Old 06-05-2006, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"George.com" wrote in message
[...]

No, I have a wonderful crop of weeds I do not normally have. Someone offered
us some very old horse muck and I took off the surface layer and thought at
10 years plus the seed bank would be exhausted - it wasn't!
On the plus side the clematis are loving it :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-05-2006, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

Anyone with a bright idea to kill the weeds?

If you have a really weedy batch of manure (reflects what the horse
was fed on) the simplest solution is to use it under the soil surface,
in trenches dug for beans or planting stations for greedy feeders such
as rhubarb etc. The seeds will just be too deep down to ever
germinate.

Janet.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Registered User

12 months in the composter should kill all weeds.
Old 08-05-2006, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Pest Effects" wrote in message

12 months in the composter should kill all weeds.

--
Pest Effects

Would that it was true! in practice it will still grow allsorts as soon as
it gets light and air.

Oh, horse poop! dt Texas 4 07-03-2007 10:52 AM
I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Eat sleep poop...and GROW Mark Edible Gardening 10 01-04-2004 12:45 PM
Nettle-choked garden - advice and suggestions welcome Genie United Kingdom 11 10-07-2003 01:59 AM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM