Old 06-05-2006, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NikV

Default Moving house - transplanting pear tree

Hi folks

Need to transplant this pear tree - end of june time

http://www.nasuwt.net/~nikvenn/peartree.jpg

there is a ditch behind the tree (covered by decking) the soil is retained
by 30''tall x 24'' wide thick paving slabs so there are no roots behind the
front edge of the decking.

Should I be digging it up now and putting it into a large pot, or should I
wait until the last minute (ish) and wrap the root ball in sacking, should I
prune it before moving to reduce water loss

Any advice please - not attempting to move it is not a option - it has much
sentimental value for my wife so I have to give it a go even if it doesn't
survive

--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"NikV" wrote in message
Hi folks

Need to transplant this pear tree - end of june time

http://www.nasuwt.net/~nikvenn/peartree.jpg

there is a ditch behind the tree (covered by decking) the soil is retained
by 30''tall x 24'' wide thick paving slabs so there are no roots behind
the front edge of the decking.

Should I be digging it up now and putting it into a large pot, or should I
wait until the last minute (ish) and wrap the root ball in sacking, should
I prune it before moving to reduce water loss

Any advice please - not attempting to move it is not a option - it has
much sentimental value for my wife so I have to give it a go even if it
doesn't survive

--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.
(¸.·º(¸.·¨* *¨·.¸)º·.¸)

A super plant-I can see why you want to move it (regardless of the
sentimental attachments).
It's not the best time but with care I guess you will stand a very good
chance of moving it.
I would pot it up now and keep the pot in a semi shaded area. It may sulk
and drop leaves but you are unlikely to kill it.
The usual thing about taking the largest rootball possible applies even more
so at this time of year. If you can rig up a polythene tent type thing over
the pot and mist the leaves daily that will help.
I would not prune it at the moment as I think that will cause more distress
than is necessary.

Old 06-05-2006, 04:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

NikV wrote:
Need to transplant this pear tree - end of june time

As Ruppert said - pot it and put it in a semi shaded place. However,
I'd dig deep, as deep as I can and as wide as I can so that I maximise
taking as much roots as I can. The tips of the roots atm are the most
vulnerable. Be gentle. The roots have gone right down and side ways.
You might damage the hedge - but it's worth it. Make sure you prepare
your pot well - good drainage, best to put a layer of stone or gravel
and the rest with John Innes 3. Put the root ball on at least 30cm of
compost and add more around your tree. Do not cover the trunk more than
it was originally. Next February prune it. If you want to then
retransplant it permanently do it the following year so as not to
stress it too much in one season. I see that you have it as an espalier
type. Perhaps you could as you pot it, plant a wooden support at the
back, like a triangular trellis. I've done this when I moved a
ceanothus which had grown against a wall. I've repotted it with a
trellis as a support. Good luck.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "NikV" contains these words:

Hi folks

Need to transplant this pear tree - end of june time

http://www.nasuwt.net/~nikvenn/peartree.jpg

there is a ditch behind the tree (covered by decking) the soil is retained
by 30''tall x 24'' wide thick paving slabs so there are no roots
behind the
front edge of the decking.

Should I be digging it up now and putting it into a large pot, or should I
wait until the last minute (ish) and wrap the root ball in sacking,
should I
prune it before moving to reduce water loss

The time to try moving it to a container was last November. Now it's
in full growth, digging it up will almost certainly kill it. Digging it
up in June = guaranteed death.

Any advice please - not attempting to move it is not a option - it has much
sentimental value for my wife so I have to give it a go even if it doesn't
survive

When each of our children was born, we chose and planted a tree for
them, and I have also planted trees for many family occasions such as
birthdays, anniversaries, memorials etc. They are scattered around
past gardens in various parts of England and Scotland, still there
though we are not. I still visit some of them occasionally, just to see
how huge they have become.

If you are selling/ have just sold the house, you need to notify
the buyer that the tree is not included in the sale. Otherwise, you have
sold the tree to him, it's his tree. If you are really desperate, the
most likely way to move the tree alive is ask the new owner to let you
come back and collect it next winter.

But I'd be inclined to take another route.Suggest to your wife that if
the pear tree died, it would turn a good memory into a sad one she
would always regret. The pear tree is a reminder of your time at that
place, a marker of your history left behind. Make her a framed photo of
her tree to take with her, and romantically promise that from now on,
every home you ever share together will have an identical pear tree
planted in its garden, leaving a pear tree trail across the country and
your lives etc.

Janet
Old 06-05-2006, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from "NikV" contains these words:

But I'd be inclined to take another route.Suggest to your wife that if
the pear tree died, it would turn a good memory into a sad one she
would always regret. The pear tree is a reminder of your time at that
place, a marker of your history left behind. Make her a framed photo of
her tree to take with her, and romantically promise that from now on,
every home you ever share together will have an identical pear tree
planted in its garden, leaving a pear tree trail across the country and
your lives etc.

What about leaving the original and taking a graft? ie get hold of a
rootstock (pear is usually grafted on to quince), and graft a bit of the
pear on to it (ask again if you decide on this route). Would be worth
getting agreement of new owner as first graft might not take, and it
would also give you time to get hold of a rootstock.

How well do cuttings of pears take?
--
Kay

Old 06-05-2006, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:
If you are really desperate, the
most likely way to move the tree alive is ask the new owner to let you
come back and collect it next winter.

This would ideally be the best, and safest option.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NikV

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"NikV" wrote in message
[...]

Thank-you for all the advice, unfortunately explaining to 4 & 6 year olds
who expect to take their 'Grandad' with them when they move, that a
substitute will do is not an option so off to get a large pot and some
sprayers - kids will enjoy that bit.

--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"NikV" wrote in message
[...]

4 & 6 year old kids are very gullible and easily coned. Perhaps you might
keep your eyes open for a similar tree in the local Garden Centres:-)
Depending on how the roots have run you may find a rectangular container is
a better fit. If necessary knock one up out of wood (coffin shape) .

Old 07-05-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NikV

"NikV" wrote in message
[...]

when I planted it I cut the back out off the pot it came in so the roots
weren't in contact with the concrete paving slab so when I dug it up it
fiits tight at the back of the pot I'vae got, decent rootball oly a couple
of deep roots snapped - got down about 2 1/2 feet - Pot filled with 1" of
gravel covering the holes + 1" of san/gravel mix, tree and shrub compost
and screened topsoil

--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" contains these words:

"NikV" wrote in message

Thank-you for all the advice, unfortunately explaining to 4 & 6 year olds
who expect to take their 'Grandad' with them when they move, that a
substitute will do is not an option

4 & 6 year old kids are very gullible and easily coned. Perhaps you might
keep your eyes open for a similar tree in the local Garden Centres:-)
Depending on how the roots have run you may find a rectangular
container is
a better fit. If necessary knock one up out of wood (coffin shape) .

I was thinking, this is where the kids learn what death really means.

Janet.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ron Clark

On Sat, 6 May 2006 16:14:37 +0100, "Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)"
wrote this (or the missive included this):

A super plant-I can see why you want to move it (regardless of the
sentimental attachments).
It's not the best time but with care I guess you will stand a very good
chance of moving it.

Anything is worth a try if there is no alternative.

6 years ago I had to move a large standard Holly tree to make room for
a conservatory. I cut round it as wide as possible and gave it tlc,
water etc but it languished for 5 years with few leaves and very
little new growth. Today it is happy and rampant, the long wait
and attention was worth it. I couldn't buy it today for £400.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³
Old 11-05-2006, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NikV

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Janet Baraclough wrote:
If you are really desperate, the
most likely way to move the tree alive is ask the new owner to let you
come back and collect it next winter.

This would ideally be the best, and safest option.

Sorry as I said in the OP not trying was not an option all other avenues
explored.

Well folks thanks for the advice the dirty deed has been done, got down
about 2 1/2 feet curled roots around new pot. Pot filled with 1" of gravel
covering the holes + 1" of sand/gravel mix, tree and shrub compost
and screened topsoil. When I originally planted it I used the curve back of
the pot to keep the roots from the comcrete slab. We selected a tree which
had been grown in the back of the pot to get close to the fence.

Its gets no sun where it is at the moment (apart from to leaves), its
getting watered twice a day and misted, dug up last sunday morning so four
and a half days so far, leaves are limp but after watering they are more
turgid.

http://www.nasuwt.net/~nikvenn/treemved.jpg

--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"NikV" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

I would have used a much larger pot but it is looking good. The Misting is
probably the most important thing you can do at the moment. Make certain
that the plant is in a sheltered position preferably wind free and good
shade.
We want regular updates please:-)