GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   deadheading (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143607-deadheading.html)

[email protected] 06-05-2006 04:27 PM

deadheading

Does anyone out there deadhead their Rhodedendrons espicially if they
are quite large. Do tou think it makes a difference to the shrub?

Janet Baraclough 06-05-2006 06:01 PM

deadheading

The message . com
from contains these words:

Does anyone out there deadhead their Rhodedendrons espicially if they
are quite large. Do tou think it makes a difference to the shrub?

I work in a famous rhododendron and we never do it there (too many,
too big). But I do deadhead them in my own garden (anything within hand
reach), especially if the flowers are the kind that hang on like dead
rags; it makes the plant look neater, and saves it wasting energy
making seed. Just behind each flower head, there are usually two tiny
incipient buds which will develop for the following year. They are very
small so be careful not to knock them off or damage them.

Janet.

K 06-05-2006 07:00 PM

deadheading

Janet Baraclough writes

I work in a famous rhododendron

:-)

--
Kay

Jupiter 07-05-2006 12:41 AM

deadheading

On Sat, 6 May 2006 18:01:23 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message . com
from contains these words:

Does anyone out there deadhead their Rhodedendrons espicially if they
are quite large. Do tou think it makes a difference to the shrub?

I work in a famous rhododendron

Wow! Do you have a chair or just perch somewhere?

Janet Baraclough 07-05-2006 06:47 PM

deadheading

The message
from Jupiter contains these words:

wrote:

I work in a famous rhododendron

Wow! Do you have a chair or just perch somewhere?

Gimme a break, us hermits don't have furniture or any kind of
creature comforts. Our calling wouldn't be real work then, would it? No
charitable benefactors would visit us in our lonely forest abodes to
watch us lounging around on Ikea and scoffing takeaways while listening
to an Ipod.

Janet.