GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Roscoea cautleoides (vanilla) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143637-roscoea-cautleoides-vanilla.html)

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 07-05-2006 11:43 AM

Roscoea cautleoides (vanilla)

I have been offered some of these "on the cheap".
I have googled/ref booked and can not find info about the height of the
vanilla. Depending on variety it appears Roscoea cauteloides grow from 6" to
several feet.
Any info about approximate height etc gratefully received.

DavePoole Torquay 07-05-2006 01:55 PM

Roscoea cautleoides (vanilla)

Several feet is pushing it by a long way. Depending upon variety
expect growth from 6" to 12" or so. It's a member of the ginger family
and completely hardy, but doesn't put in an appearance until late -
usually May/early June. It carries its large pale yellow or more
rarely, purple flowers from June onwards. If you've been offered them
cheap then snap them up, they're definitely worth having. Roscoeas
prefer well drained, humus rich soils and filtered sunlight. Dont' let
them go dry in summer and take care to mark the clumps when they die
down. Otherwise you'll be prodding about with a handfork next spring,
wondering what the fleshy white tubers are. About 3 weeks after you've
consigned them to the compost heap, you'll suddenly remember.

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 07-05-2006 07:35 PM

Roscoea cautleoides (vanilla)

"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message
ups.com...
Several feet is pushing it by a long way. Depending upon variety
expect growth from 6" to 12" or so. It's a member of the ginger family
and completely hardy, but doesn't put in an appearance until late -
usually May/early June. It carries its large pale yellow or more
rarely, purple flowers from June onwards. If you've been offered them
cheap then snap them up, they're definitely worth having. Roscoeas
prefer well drained, humus rich soils and filtered sunlight. Dont' let
them go dry in summer and take care to mark the clumps when they die
down. Otherwise you'll be prodding about with a handfork next spring,
wondering what the fleshy white tubers are. About 3 weeks after you've
consigned them to the compost heap, you'll suddenly remember.

Thanks David-I will give them a go. I already have several pots of fleshy
white tubers awaiting identification along with even more pots of roots:-)
I must find a discreet way of marking things