Old 07-05-2006, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Davy

Default Help identify tree in blossom please

We have a small 10ft tree (or tall single-shoot shrub) that currently has
red-green leaves and cerise flowers (luminous red, definitely not pink).
The flowers and leaves are cherry-like but the bark is not shiny.

Anyone able to identify this?

many thanks

Davy

Old 07-05-2006, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

K wrote:
Davy writes
We have a small 10ft tree (or tall single-shoot shrub) that currently has
red-green leaves and cerise flowers (luminous red, definitely not pink).
The flowers and leaves are cherry-like but the bark is not shiny.

Still sounds like a flowering cherry. Our dark-red-flowered red-leaved
cherries have dark, rather gnarled, bark

Right: cherry bark isn't always shiny. If it's a cherry, and not too
old, I imagine it'll have horizontal streaks on the bark. Probably
nothing like as extreme as the following picture, but that sort of
thing.
http://www.mntca.org/Reference_manua...ce-5-04-05.jpg

or
http://tinyurl.com/hh32j

--
Mike.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Philippe Gautier

K wrote:
Davy writes

We have a small 10ft tree (or tall single-shoot shrub) that currently has
red-green leaves and cerise flowers (luminous red, definitely not pink).
The flowers and leaves are cherry-like but the bark is not shiny.

Still sounds like a flowering cherry. Our dark-red-flowered red-leaved
cherries have dark, rather gnarled, bark

When you look at the flowers, it doesn't look at all like a cherry. More
like from the Scrophulariaceae family (digitalis, pentstemons,
snapdragon, etc) ? Cannot find any flowering tree of this family though...

Philippe
Old 08-05-2006, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Philippe Gautier writes
K wrote:
Davy writes

We have a small 10ft tree (or tall single-shoot shrub) that
currently has
red-green leaves and cerise flowers (luminous red, definitely not pink).
The flowers and leaves are cherry-like but the bark is not shiny.

Still sounds like a flowering cherry. Our dark-red-flowered
red-leaved cherries have dark, rather gnarled, bark

When you look at the flowers, it doesn't look at all like a cherry.
More like from the Scrophulariaceae family (digitalis, pentstemons,
snapdragon, etc) ? Cannot find any flowering tree of this family
though...

Eh? The OP didn't provide any reference to a picture or give any other
description of the flowers other that "the flowers and leaves are cherry
like".

You're not getting this mixed up with the other tree id thread, are you?
--
Kay
Old 08-05-2006, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Philippe Gautier

K wrote:
Philippe Gautier writes

K wrote:

Davy writes

We have a small 10ft tree (or tall single-shoot shrub) that
currently has
red-green leaves and cerise flowers (luminous red, definitely not
pink).
The flowers and leaves are cherry-like but the bark is not shiny.

Still sounds like a flowering cherry. Our dark-red-flowered
red-leaved cherries have dark, rather gnarled, bark

When you look at the flowers, it doesn't look at all like a cherry.
More like from the Scrophulariaceae family (digitalis, pentstemons,
snapdragon, etc) ? Cannot find any flowering tree of this family
though...

Eh? The OP didn't provide any reference to a picture or give any other
description of the flowers other that "the flowers and leaves are cherry
like".

You're not getting this mixed up with the other tree id thread, are you?

Sorry! I guess I did! Apologies
Philippe

Old 08-05-2006, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
H Ryder

Could it be a crab apple? did the flowers come out before or after the
leaves? We have a tree which looks cherry like but is actually a crab
apple - Malus something "Profusion" (I think)- it has bright red single
flowers which appear after the cherry like leaves and has cherry like crab
apples in autumn. However teh bark is not at all cherry like (rougher), the
habit is not cherry like - it is all gnarled like an apple tree and it is
smaller than your average cherry.

--
Hayley
(gardening on well drained, alkaline clay in Somerset)

Old 08-05-2006, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Davy

Default Malus Profusion-like it is!

Hayley,

yes, crab apple it is! It is quite similar to Profusion (but with cerise
rather than wine red flowers) and the bark is not shiny or having horizontal
specks as with cherry - more gnarled like apple.

many thanks

Davy