GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grass Seed - Germination in Compost? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143677-grass-seed-germination-compost.html)

[email protected] 08-05-2006 08:23 AM

Grass Seed - Germination in Compost?

I want to oversow my lawn with grass seed. I have had problems with
this in the past and want to try a new method. I am sure I read or
heard this womewhere but I do not know whe- I want to germinate my
grass seed in a barrow full of compost. When the seeds have germinate I
will then distribute over the lawn.

I know that I am a bit late for doing this but I am in Scotland so is a
bit cooler here.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
me

Sacha 08-05-2006 10:39 AM

wrote:
I want to oversow my lawn with grass seed. I have had problems with
this in the past and want to try a new method. I am sure I read or
heard this womewhere but I do not know whe- I want to germinate my
grass seed in a barrow full of compost. When the seeds have germinate I
will then distribute over the lawn.

I know that I am a bit late for doing this but I am in Scotland so is a
bit cooler here.

My husband uses a similar method to this a lot. He germinates the
grass seed in a bag of compost - working out how much of each he's
likely to need and then, when the seed has started to sprout, he
scatters it onto any bare patches on the lawn. Then he puts
horticultural fleece over it, held down by stones, both to keep the
birds off and to give the new grass a bit of a start. It works well
every time.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk