Old 08-05-2006, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Composting rhubarb leaves

Well, now that, thanks to the good advice of URG denizens, I have
started to harvest my rhubarb (6 pots of jam made this w/e), what can I
do with the leaves?
I gather they are toxic (oxalic acid, if memory serves) and therefore I
wonder should I keep them out of the compost heap?
If so, what can I do with them? They are currently wilting away near
the plants themselves.

Cat(h)

Old 08-05-2006, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Cat(h) wrote:
Well, now that, thanks to the good advice of URG denizens, I have
started to harvest my rhubarb (6 pots of jam made this w/e), what can I
do with the leaves?
I gather they are toxic (oxalic acid, if memory serves) and therefore I
wonder should I keep them out of the compost heap?
If so, what can I do with them? They are currently wilting away near
the plants themselves.

I have always put them on my compost with no problem whatsoever )

Old 08-05-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message .com
from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

Well, now that, thanks to the good advice of URG denizens, I have
started to harvest my rhubarb (6 pots of jam made this w/e), what can I
do with the leaves?
I gather they are toxic (oxalic acid, if memory serves)

But only if you eat them.

and therefore I
wonder should I keep them out of the compost heap?
If so, what can I do with them? They are currently wilting away near
the plants themselves.

Just compost them. Food crops that grew in composted rhubarb leaves
don't contain its oxalic acid; just as peaches from a tree planted on
dear old Rover's grave, don't harbour fleas, and taste of peach, not
dead dog.

Janet

Old 08-05-2006, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message .com
from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

Well, now that, thanks to the good advice of URG denizens, I have
started to harvest my rhubarb (6 pots of jam made this w/e), what can I
do with the leaves?
I gather they are toxic (oxalic acid, if memory serves)

But only if you eat them.

and therefore I
wonder should I keep them out of the compost heap?
If so, what can I do with them? They are currently wilting away near
the plants themselves.

Just compost them. Food crops that grew in composted rhubarb leaves
don't contain its oxalic acid; just as peaches from a tree planted on
dear old Rover's grave, don't harbour fleas, and taste of peach, not
dead dog.

Thanks for that, and for being so tolerant of silly questions from
newbies ;-)

Cat(h)

Old 08-05-2006, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Thanks for that, and for being so tolerant of silly questions from
newbies ;-)

Cat(h)

Some of the 'owners' have had to be reminded that even 'they' were not born
with Silver Garden Spades in their mouths. Everybody is a learner at
something. Driving. Gardening. Housework :-((. Parenthood etc etc , but
'some' "experts" forget it :-((

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 08-05-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Mike wrote:

Thanks for that, and for being so tolerant of silly questions from
newbies ;-)

Cat(h)

Some of the 'owners' have had to be reminded that even 'they' were not born
with Silver Garden Spades in their mouths. Everybody is a learner at
something. Driving. Gardening. Housework :-((. Parenthood etc etc , but
'some' "experts" forget it :-((

Mike

It's ok - I'm not that thin skinned, and she gave me a giggle... as
well as some pretty good advice whenever I ask questions here.

Cat(h)

Old 08-05-2006, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone here

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, now that, thanks to the good advice of URG denizens, I have
started to harvest my rhubarb (6 pots of jam made this w/e), what can I
do with the leaves?
I gather they are toxic (oxalic acid, if memory serves) and therefore I
wonder should I keep them out of the compost heap?
If so, what can I do with them? They are currently wilting away near
the plants themselves.

Cat(h)

Obtain an old saucepan and boil up the leaves, add a little 'pure' soap
use the resulting liquid as a pesticide.

Or just throw them on the compost heap.

Dave

Old 09-05-2006, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, now that, thanks to the good advice of URG denizens, I have
started to harvest my rhubarb (6 pots of jam made this w/e), what can I
do with the leaves?
I gather they are toxic (oxalic acid, if memory serves) and therefore I
wonder should I keep them out of the compost heap?
If so, what can I do with them? They are currently wilting away near
the plants themselves.

Cat(h)

compost the rhubarb stalks in a bowl of custard.

rob

Old 09-05-2006, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"George.com" wrote in message

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, now that, thanks to the good advice of URG denizens, I have
started to harvest my rhubarb (6 pots of jam made this w/e), what can I
do with the leaves?
I gather they are toxic (oxalic acid, if memory serves) and therefore I
wonder should I keep them out of the compost heap?
If so, what can I do with them? They are currently wilting away near
the plants themselves.

Cat(h)

compost the rhubarb stalks in a bowl of custard.

rob

compote ;-)

Old 12-05-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Mike wrote:
"George.com" wrote in message

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, now that, thanks to the good advice of URG denizens, I have
started to harvest my rhubarb (6 pots of jam made this w/e), what can I
do with the leaves?
I gather they are toxic (oxalic acid, if memory serves) and therefore I
wonder should I keep them out of the compost heap?
If so, what can I do with them? They are currently wilting away near
the plants themselves.

Cat(h)

compost the rhubarb stalks in a bowl of custard.

rob

compote ;-)

Sound advice all round. Yum yum.
A recipe I just saw in a Sunday paper last week end, and can't wait to
serve (I'm quoting from memory):

Trim and wash nice rhubarb stems.
Cut diagonally into 5cm lengths or so.
Put in shallow oven tray, generously sprinkled with sugar, roast for 20
mins till tender.
Serve with a generous scoop of very good quality vanilla ice cream.
*That's* going to be served this week end in my household.

Cat(h)

Old 15-05-2006, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Default Composting rhubarb leaves - Aphid Spray

Cat(h) wrote:

Well, now that, thanks to the good advice of URG denizens, I have
started to harvest my rhubarb (6 pots of jam made this w/e), what can I
do with the leaves?
I gather they are toxic (oxalic acid, if memory serves) and therefore I
wonder should I keep them out of the compost heap?
If so, what can I do with them? They are currently wilting away near
the plants themselves.

Cat(h)

[snipped]

Below the handy recipes for the stalks there is handy Aphid spray
instruction using the leaves (although not for edible plants).

http://www.plantea.com/rhubarb.htm
http://www.ghorganics.com/page9.html

I've not found any research on this but in past years I've rotted down
the leaves in a barrel with outflow tap and filled it with water. Leave
it all to rot down over several months and use as a green feed. If
anyone does this, please don't put the barrel near to townfolk's housing
as they'll think you are keeping livestock, what with the special
'farmyard' smell that comes from the rotting.

Richard.

--
Two updates tools for 3D Studio Max
http://www.kdbanglia.com/maxtools.html
Old 27-05-2006, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jasbird

On 8 May 2006 04:53:17 -0700, "Cat(h)" wrote:

Well, now that, thanks to the good advice of URG denizens, I have
started to harvest my rhubarb (6 pots of jam made this w/e), what can I
do with the leaves?

I gather they are toxic (oxalic acid, if memory serves) and therefore I
wonder should I keep them out of the compost heap?

Oxalic acid is bio-degradable. Put the leaves on your compost heap.