GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Seedlings chopped off a soil level ??? Any ideas of the culprit. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143775-seedlings-chopped-off-soil-level-any-ideas-culprit.html)

Mr Big 09-05-2006 08:59 PM

Seedlings chopped off a soil level ??? Any ideas of the culprit.

Andy 09-05-2006 09:26 PM

Seedlings chopped off a soil level ??? Any ideas of the culprit.

Slugs and snails: they just got most of my carrots last night.
I go out at night with a torch and terminate them with extreme prejudice,
but
you realy need something that works whilst you're asleep. I'm trying jars
buried to the rim with an inch of beer in them, another one is to place some
flattish
objects with gaps underneath around the area to be protected, you can
usually find the culprits underneath the cover provided the next day.

Of course, there's also slug pellets, ash, broken eggshells, coffee grounds
etc.

Andy.