Old 09-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Michael

Default Grape Hyacinths

Help! I am being overrun by hundreds of grape hyacinths. I cannot get rid
of them by seperating them from the soil as it is lumpy clay. Systemic
weedkiller didn't do much to them. They are speading and growing lots of new
bulbs. Can anyone please tell me how I can destroy them.

Old 09-04-2003, 09:08 PM
Kate Morgan

Help! I am being overrun by hundreds of grape hyacinths. I cannot get rid
of them by seperating them from the soil as it is lumpy clay. Systemic
weedkiller didn't do much to them. They are speading and growing lots of new
bulbs. Can anyone please tell me how I can destroy them.

Ahhhh dont destroy them you big bully, they are brilliant at this time
of year
kate
Old 09-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Roberto

Why would you want to stop them, I think they are my favourite bulb, they
can spread as much as they like here

Robert from the English Riviera
http://www.nochex.com/payme.asap?ema...btinternet.com

Old 09-04-2003, 09:44 PM
swroot

Michael wrote:

Help! I am being overrun by hundreds of grape hyacinths. I cannot get rid
of them by seperating them from the soil as it is lumpy clay. Systemic
weedkiller didn't do much to them. They are speading and growing lots of new
bulbs. Can anyone please tell me how I can destroy them.

I had that problem once. They make good compost: show them no mercy!

Yes, they're a gorgeous blue. But if they like your garden, what starts
as a scattering of gorgeous blue flowers in spring becomes a solid mat
of bulbs and juicy green leaves smothering everything else in the garden
later in the year. To add insult to injury, nothing eats them, not
slugs, not snails, not mice, *nothing*!

regards
sarah

--
"Great is truth, but still greater, from a practical point of view,
is silence about truth." Aldous Huxley
Old 09-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Michael Berridge

swroot wrote in message
Michael wrote:

Help! I am being overrun by hundreds of grape hyacinths. I cannot

get rid
of them by seperating them from the soil as it is lumpy clay.

Systemic
weedkiller didn't do much to them. They are speading and growing lots

of new
bulbs. Can anyone please tell me how I can destroy them.

I had that problem once. They make good compost: show them no mercy!

Yes, they're a gorgeous blue. But if they like your garden, what starts
as a scattering of gorgeous blue flowers in spring becomes a solid mat
of bulbs and juicy green leaves smothering everything else in the

garden
later in the year. To add insult to injury, nothing eats them, not
slugs, not snails, not mice, *nothing*!

I dug up 3 buckets full on Monday, onto the compost heap they went. I
had had no flowers for two years, and they were crowding everything else
out.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 09-04-2003, 10:20 PM
hayley

"Michael" wrote in message
Help! I am being overrun by hundreds of grape hyacinths. I cannot get

rid
of them by seperating them from the soil as it is lumpy clay. Systemic
weedkiller didn't do much to them. They are speading and growing lots of

new
bulbs. Can anyone please tell me how I can destroy them.

why? don't you like them?
Hayley

Old 09-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Essjay001

hayley scribbled:

"Michael" wrote in message
Help! I am being overrun by hundreds of grape hyacinths. I cannot
get rid of them by seperating them from the soil as it is lumpy
clay. Systemic weedkiller didn't do much to them. They are speading
and growing lots of new bulbs. Can anyone please tell me how I can
destroy them.

why? don't you like them?
Hayley

Thats not very helpful!

Old 09-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Essjay001

Kate Morgan scribbled:

Help! I am being overrun by hundreds of grape hyacinths. I cannot
get rid of them by seperating them from the soil as it is lumpy
clay. Systemic weedkiller didn't do much to them. They are speading
and growing lots of new bulbs. Can anyone please tell me how I can
destroy them.

Ahhhh dont destroy them you big bully, they are brilliant at this time
of year
kate

He may or he may not but right now he has too many, do try to be helpful.

Old 09-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Essjay001

Roberto scribbled:

Why would you want to stop them, I think they are my favourite bulb,
they can spread as much as they like here.

They may be your favourite bulb but Micheal does not want them in such
profusion. Do try to be helpful.

Old 09-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Kate Morgan

They may be your favourite bulb but Micheal does not want them in such
profusion. Do try to be helpful.

O.K. if Michael does not like them, he should dig the beggers up, unles
of course you know something more helpful.
kate

Old 09-04-2003, 11:11 PM
david

Just wish I could get them to grow like that.
You will probably be able to "Wipe them out" with SBK brushwood killer, or
other systemic weed killer that will take out nettles and brambles.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 10-04-2003, 07:56 AM
swroot

Michael Berridge wrote:

swroot wrote in message
Michael wrote:

[...]

Well done, that man.

It seems we are regarded as fortunate in having gardens that grow grape
hyacinths; I'd rather have better luck with _Fritillaria persica_ :-/

regards
sarah

Old 10-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Essjay001

Kate Morgan scribbled:

They may be your favourite bulb but Micheal does not want them in
such profusion. Do try to be helpful.

O.K. if Michael does not like them, he should dig the beggers up,
unles of course you know something more helpful.
kate

Did you read his post?

Old 10-04-2003, 02:20 PM
A.Malhotra

swroot wrote:

Michael wrote:

Help! I am being overrun by hundreds of grape hyacinths. I cannot get rid
of them by seperating them from the soil as it is lumpy clay. Systemic
weedkiller didn't do much to them. They are speading and growing lots of new
bulbs. Can anyone please tell me how I can destroy them.

I had that problem once. They make good compost: show them no mercy!

Yes, they're a gorgeous blue. But if they like your garden, what starts
as a scattering of gorgeous blue flowers in spring becomes a solid mat
of bulbs and juicy green leaves smothering everything else in the garden
later in the year. To add insult to injury, nothing eats them, not
slugs, not snails, not mice, *nothing*!

Why not just cut the leaves off. Don't they die backlater in the year
anyway?
Anita

regards
sarah

Old 10-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Warwick Dumas

"Essjay001" wrote in message
hayley scribbled:

"Michael" wrote in message
Help! I am being overrun by hundreds of grape hyacinths. I cannot
get rid of them by seperating them from the soil as it is lumpy
clay. Systemic weedkiller didn't do much to them. They are speading
and growing lots of new bulbs. Can anyone please tell me how I can
destroy them.

why? don't you like them?
Hayley

Thats not very helpful!

Did anyone else notice when this ng was officially brought under the aegis
of the Helpfulness Police? I think I must have missed it. :-(

It happens that the natural habitat of grape hyacinths has been largely
destroyed and if gardeners don't look after them, we one day might not have
them. The point of view that they should not ever be destroyed by the
bucketload is perfectly tenable, and there is no reason for anyone to feel
shy of expressing it. There's if anything even less reason to worry about
questioning someone else's taste, imho.

Warwick Dumas

Cutting grape vine after last grape bunch .. (yes..no...) ? MrMe Edible Gardening 4 21-05-2010 12:19 AM
Killing grape hyacinths dch222 United Kingdom 0 06-03-2007 12:12 PM
Grape Hyacinths? montana Gardening 2 03-05-2003 07:32 PM
Water Hyacinths ~ jan Ponds 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM
Grape hyacinths JennyC United Kingdom 13 22-03-2003 11:29 AM