GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Something that looks like Parsley.... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143814-something-looks-like-parsley.html)

David WE Roberts 10-05-2006 10:50 AM

Something that looks like Parsley....

Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed :-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

[email protected] 10-05-2006 10:57 AM

David WE Roberts wrote:
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed :-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

Wild (ho ho ho) guess:

Pineapple weed (smells of pineapple when crushed)/Matricaria
matricaroides?
http://www.lib.k-state.edu/wildflowe.../pineapple.jpg

David WE Roberts 10-05-2006 11:02 AM

On Wed, 10 May 2006 02:57:56 -0700, dazzhiggins wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed :-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

Wild (ho ho ho) guess:

Pineapple weed (smells of pineapple when crushed)/Matricaria
matricaroides?
http://www.lib.k-state.edu/wildflowe.../pineapple.jpg

No - wrong leaf shape.

I should also have mentioned that there is no smell when the leaves are
crushed.

I will post a picture when I have time.

Cheers

Dave R

[email protected] 10-05-2006 11:15 AM

David WE Roberts wrote:
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed :-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

Wild (ho ho ho) guess:

Pineapple weed (smells of pineapple when crushed)/Matricaria
matricaroides?
http://www.lib.k-state.edu/wildflowe.../pineapple.jpg

No - wrong leaf shape.

Any chance you could help and say what the leaf shape is? :-)

K 10-05-2006 01:11 PM

Something that looks like Parsley....

writes

David WE Roberts wrote:
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed :-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

Wild (ho ho ho) guess:

Pineapple weed (smells of pineapple when crushed)/Matricaria
matricaroides?
http://www.lib.k-state.edu/wildflowe.../pineapple.jpg

Herb Robert? (Geranium robertianum)

http://www.foxysislandwalks.com/Wild...erb-Robert.jpg

Evil smell when you pull it out. Dark green leaves, tends to have light
patterns, often red stems, coming from a central rosette which forms a
convenient 'lump' to grab hold of when pulling out a plant. Easy to
uproot, but seeds like nothing on earth to give a complete carpet of
seedlings.

--
Kay

[email protected] 10-05-2006 02:42 PM

Klara wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:
my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.
Dave R

Pineapple weed (smells of pineapple when crushed)/Matricaria
matricaroides?
http://www.lib.k-state.edu/wildflowe.../pineapple.jpg

Herb Robert? (Geranium robertianum)

http://www.foxysislandwalks.com/Wild...erb-Robert.jpg

Evil smell when you pull it out. Dark green leaves, tends to have light
patterns, often red stems, coming from a central rosette which forms a
convenient 'lump' to grab hold of when pulling out a plant. Easy to
uproot, but seeds like nothing on earth to give a complete carpet of
seedlings.

I think we need a definition of what "looks like parsley means" :-)
If it means finely divided up like flat leaved Parsley, then K's answer
sounds good.
If it means crinkley like curled leafed parsley then Ragwort sounds
good.
I suspect the reality will surprise all of us when David posts a
picture though.

Doesn't ragwort also look a lot like parsley at first? Then it grows a
tall stem and yellow flowers. It is very poisonous for cattle and
horses.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Dave P 10-05-2006 02:46 PM

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed
:-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

My guess............

Creeping Buttercup.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/crbutcup.htm

Dave

[email protected] 10-05-2006 03:14 PM

Dave P wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed
:-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

My guess............

Creeping Buttercup.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/crbutcup.htm

ahhhhhh "dark green leaves with white flecks"
and mention of prolific
ok, my money is on that now
(I am very fickle in the face of superior knowledge)

Dave

K 10-05-2006 11:21 PM

Something that looks like Parsley....

Klara writes
David WE Roberts wrote:
my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.
Dave R

Pineapple weed (smells of pineapple when crushed)/Matricaria
matricaroides?
http://www.lib.k-state.edu/wildflowe.../pineapple.jpg

Herb Robert? (Geranium robertianum)

http://www.foxysislandwalks.com/Wild...erb-Robert.jpg

Evil smell when you pull it out. Dark green leaves, tends to have
light patterns, often red stems, coming from a central rosette which
forms a convenient 'lump' to grab hold of when pulling out a plant.
Easy to uproot, but seeds like nothing on earth to give a complete
carpet of seedlings.

Doesn't ragwort also look a lot like parsley at first?

In shape, possibly, but the leaf is thicker

--
Kay

Andy 11-05-2006 01:28 AM

Something that looks like Parsley....

Creeping Buttercup ( Ranunculus ) spreads via underground rhizome (?) so it
kind of works its way along an area. Not actually uninteresting as a flower,
but invasive. I have it in areas that are a bit damp and shady, I don't know
whether that's accidental or it just likes those conditions.

Andy.

wrote in message
oups.com...

David Rance 11-05-2006 08:41 AM

On Thu, 11 May 2006 Andy wrote:

Creeping Buttercup ( Ranunculus ) spreads via underground rhizome (?) so it
kind of works its way along an area.

More like an overground runner, similar to strawberries. I know - I've
dug enough of them up!

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

David WE Roberts 12-05-2006 09:30 AM

On Wed, 10 May 2006 14:46:03 +0100, Dave P wrote:

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

my first Spring with a new garden and there is a lot of stuff that looks
very like parsley. Dark green leaf with lighter flecks.

It is so prolific that it is almost certainly a weed; there are also no
signs of any flowers at the moment.

Before I rip it out I would just like to check that it is in fact a weed
:-)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dave R

My guess............

Creeping Buttercup.

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/crbutcup.htm

Dave

[Apologies for delay in responding]

Spot on - that looks exactly like it.

So it is destined for the chop.

Flowers May to.... still no sign of flowers.

Thanks

Dave R

Cat(h) 12-05-2006 11:51 AM

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

It is vile, goddawful stuff. My weed hate list topper now that I'm rid
of ground elder.
I just read the webpage Dave posted - seeds can remain viable in the
ground for up to 80 years!!!. I think I'm going to have a bout of
botanic depression.

Cat(h)

Cat(h) 15-05-2006 10:20 AM

Something that looks like Parsley....

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message .com
from "Cat(h)" contains these words:

My guess............

Creeping Buttercup.

Spot on - that looks exactly like it.

It is vile, goddawful stuff. My weed hate list topper now that I'm rid
of ground elder.

Don't worry too much. it's nowhere near as bad a weed to have (or get
rid of) as ground elder (or bindweed, or horsetail, or japanese
knotweed) .

CP is relatively shallow rooting and easily got out; odd bits of root
left behing (with no buds attached) can't regenerate; and, it dies a
death forever in the compost heap. In fact it's great compost material.
Any seedlings are very much easier to flip out than established plants.
So the Untimate Solution isn't as far away or difficult as you fear.

However, I'm a bit worried about what "parsley" you may have been
eating, because it shouldn't have looked remotely like creeping
buttercup leaves :-)

The "parsley" description was by the OP, and surprised me also when the
weed was finally identified. It looks like *anything* but parsley.
I seem to recall poor oul' Socrates was given something very like
parsley to drink... with rather terminal consequences. Cigue in French
(I can't get my keyboard to put the two dots on top of the u - hemlock
according to my dictionary?

Cat(h)