GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mosquitoes in water butt (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143816-mosquitoes-water-butt.html)

Sue 10-05-2006 02:25 PM

Mosquitoes in water butt

"Alla Bezroutchko" wrote
Is there any way to prevent mosquitoes from breeding / laying eggs /
whatever it is that they do in my rainwater butt? There seems to be a
lot of them in there, at least when the butt is partly empty.

I don't want to increase the mosquito population, particularly close
to the house where I live. :)

Try adding a few drops of cooking oil, just enough to make a film over
the surface, and use a close fitting lid to prevent them getting in
there in the first place.

--
Sue

Derek Turner 10-05-2006 05:19 PM

Mosquitoes in water butt

Alla Bezroutchko wrote:
Is there any way to prevent mosquitoes from breeding / laying eggs /
whatever it is that they do in my rainwater butt? There seems to be a
lot of them in there, at least when the butt is partly empty.

I don't want to increase the mosquito population, particularly close to
the house where I live. :)

Alla.

a cheap goldfish from your local garden cent it will thrive on the
larvae - no need to feed.

Charlie Pridham 10-05-2006 08:45 PM

Mosquitoes in water butt

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Alla Bezroutchko" wrote
Is there any way to prevent mosquitoes from breeding / laying eggs /
whatever it is that they do in my rainwater butt? There seems to be a
lot of them in there, at least when the butt is partly empty.

I don't want to increase the mosquito population, particularly close
to the house where I live. :)

Try adding a few drops of cooking oil, just enough to make a film over
the surface, and use a close fitting lid to prevent them getting in
there in the first place.

--
Sue

Oil is the method used all over the world, the surface tension increases
preventing their breathing tubes from getting through and they drown.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Alla Bezroutchko 12-05-2006 10:58 AM

Mosquitoes in water butt

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Alla Bezroutchko" wrote
Is there any way to prevent mosquitoes from breeding / laying eggs /
whatever it is that they do in my rainwater butt? There seems to be a
lot of them in there, at least when the butt is partly empty.

Try adding a few drops of cooking oil, just enough to make a film over
the surface, and use a close fitting lid to prevent them getting in
there in the first place.

Oil is the method used all over the world, the surface tension increases
preventing their breathing tubes from getting through and they drown.

Thanks for the idea. I'll try oil. Goldfish suggestion by Derek Turner
also seems interesting, but I am not sure how the goldfish is going to
survive in winter without any food.

Alla.

androo 12-05-2006 12:16 PM

Mosquitoes in water butt

a cheap goldfish from your local garden cent it will thrive on the
larvae - no need to feed.

Just don't think too hard about what kind of life a lone goldfish in a pitch
black butt would lead...

Androo