GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Ants in compost bin (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143933-ants-compost-bin.html)

ron 12-05-2006 12:25 PM

Ants in compost bin

Hi, Are ants beneficial in a compost bin? I have a black dalek type compost
bin and when I lifted the door to see how my compost was doing there were
1000's of ants. Should I leave them, or try and kill them and if I should
kill them, what with?

Thanks Ron

Lyndon 12-05-2006 01:02 PM

Ants in compost bin

"ron" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi, Are ants beneficial in a compost bin? I have a black dalek type
compost bin and when I lifted the door to see how my compost was doing
there were 1000's of ants. Should I leave them, or try and kill them and
if I should kill them, what with?

Thanks Ron

They won't do any harm, and some people believe they can be beneficial.

If you want to get rid of them, the best way is regularly mix the compost
up. The ants will evenually get fed up and move on.

Lyndon

George.com 12-05-2006 01:02 PM

Ants in compost bin

"ron" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi, Are ants beneficial in a compost bin?

yes, potentially very yes.

I have a black dalek type compost
bin and when I lifted the door to see how my compost was doing there were
1000's of ants. Should I leave them,

yes

or try and kill them

no.

rob

Robert 12-05-2006 01:24 PM

Ants in compost bin

"ron" wrote in message
. uk...
: Hi, Are ants beneficial in a compost bin? I have a black dalek type
compost
: bin and when I lifted the door to see how my compost was doing there were
: 1000's of ants. Should I leave them, or try and kill them and if I should
: kill them, what with?
:
: Thanks Ron
:
They won't do any harm
:

Phil L 12-05-2006 02:59 PM

Ants in compost bin

ron wrote:
Hi, Are ants beneficial in a compost bin? I have a black dalek type
compost bin and when I lifted the door to see how my compost was
doing there were 1000's of ants. Should I leave them, or try and kill
them and if I should kill them, what with?

Thanks Ron

I'm no expert, but I assumed air circulation would be beneficial to the
compost, ants will certainly cause air circulation.