GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help needed finding a weeping willow (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143934-help-needed-finding-weeping-willow.html)

AAJ 12-05-2006 01:07 PM

Help needed finding a weeping willow

Hi all

Does anyone know of a variety of weeping willow that will grow to
about 10 - 15 feet.

I'm a newbie gardener and am wondering if I can but a variety which
grows larger and then prune it back.

thanks

Andy

Jupiter 12-05-2006 04:03 PM

Help needed finding a weeping willow

On 12 May 2006 05:07:54 -0700, "AAJ"
wrote:

Hi all

Does anyone know of a variety of weeping willow that will grow to
about 10 - 15 feet.

I'm a newbie gardener and am wondering if I can but a variety which
grows larger and then prune it back.

thanks

Andy

I'm not sure if there are any dwarf varieties. If you take out the
crown of a weeping willow it will sprout a load of upwards growing
shoots and look most peculiar as if it has a topknot until the weight
of the new branches starts to keel them over. Then you'll have a
'layered' tree. Trimming and pruning them is a bit like maintaining a
hairdo. I've several times taken the hedgetrimmer to mine to be able
to walk underneath it.

sam 13-05-2006 07:28 PM

AAJ wrote:
Hi all

Does anyone know of a variety of weeping willow that will grow to
about 10 - 15 feet.

I'm a newbie gardener and am wondering if I can but a variety which
grows larger and then prune it back.

thanks

Andy

I cannot help with your enquiry but I would like to give a word of caution.
Plant well-away from the house as the roots can travel quite a long distance
and even undermine the foundations eventually.
Besides this beautiful addition to the garden is best viewed from a
distance.

Sam.

SE Gardener 15-05-2006 09:20 AM

Help needed finding a weeping willow

Check out the last few photos of a weeping willow. If you are after a
rooted cutting please contact me via email.

http://www.gb-online.co.uk/gardening...lery/index.htm

gardenblogger 15-05-2006 05:42 PM

Try visiting http://www.homeandgardening.co.uk/plantprofiles.htm they offer some great profiles of plants. Great advice on growing and propagatng many plants.