Old 09-04-2003, 11:11 PM
shannie

Default aquarium water on compost heap??

Could someone advise me please if I would do any damage to the compost heap
if I poured the waste water from an aquarium onto it after cleaning out the
filter. The water would be slightly acidic and would contain amonia,amonium,
trace elements of nitrates, some nitrites and de-nitrifying bacteria in
smallish amounts. The ph would be between 6.5 and 7.2. I would be discarding
about 20gallons per fortnight, too much for the heap but would a few gallons
do any harm.

Thanks in advance
Shan

Old 09-04-2003, 11:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , shannie
writes
Could someone advise me please if I would do any damage to the compost heap
if I poured the waste water from an aquarium onto it after cleaning out the
filter. The water would be slightly acidic and would contain amonia,amonium,
trace elements of nitrates, some nitrites and de-nitrifying bacteria in
smallish amounts. The ph would be between 6.5 and 7.2. I would be discarding
about 20gallons per fortnight, too much for the heap but would a few gallons
do any harm.

No problems at all. And the nitrates and ammonia would be good for the
heap.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 09-04-2003, 11:44 PM
hayley

Could someone advise me please if I would do any damage to the compost
heap
if I poured the waste water from an aquarium onto it

we often tip ours straight out the window into a large pot containing
various plants. It hasn't done them any harm. However I'd think carefully
about it if you've recently added any treatments.
Hayley

Old 09-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Bigjon

Recently, shannie uttered:

Could someone advise me please if I would do any damage to the compost heap
if I poured the waste water from an aquarium onto it after cleaning out the
filter. The water would be slightly acidic and would contain amonia,amonium,
trace elements of nitrates, some nitrites and de-nitrifying bacteria in
smallish amounts. The ph would be between 6.5 and 7.2. I would be discarding
about 20gallons per fortnight, too much for the heap but would a few gallons
do any harm.

Thanks in advance
Shan

And the sludge from the bottom of the tank is great for putting on the
garden too..
--
\\(º`¿´º)//
It's all on http://support.microsoft.com/ somewhere....

Old 10-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Michael Berridge

hayley wrote in message 3e949f53$1_2@mk-nntp-

we often tip ours straight out the window into a large pot containing
various plants. It hasn't done them any harm. However I'd think

carefully
about it if you've recently added any treatments.
Hayley

As all treatments are wildlife and plant friendly, otherwise it would
kill the plants and fish and fish are very sensitive to toxins, then I
can't see any problem in any case, the concentration of such treatments
would be very low.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 10-04-2003, 08:20 PM
hayley

As all treatments are wildlife and plant friendly,

some of them are not so good for plants (some algaecides and some of the ph
buffering solutions can cause probs).
Hayley

Old 10-04-2003, 11:08 PM
shannie

Thank-you all for your advise, wont use it if I use any treatments,
otherwise will give it a whirl.

Thanks again

Shan

How can you re-use compost if you don't have a compost heap? BlackThumb Gardening 8 26-05-2012 01:12 PM
Compost Heap Gringo Gardening 14 08-04-2009 11:23 PM
Something Nasty behind the compost heap... Sad Sid United Kingdom 10 11-10-2003 04:22 AM
Potatoes in compost heap Jason Hall United Kingdom 1 19-06-2003 12:32 AM
dog faeces can it be added to compost heap lee hudson United Kingdom 30 13-05-2003 06:08 PM