GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Betula Jacquemontii (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/143954-betula-jacquemontii.html)

dlrodgers 12-05-2006 09:13 PM

Betula Jacquemontii

I have planted a 3-4 year old tree and it isn't showing any signs yet of the magnificent white bark on the trunk. The tree is growing well and is about 10ft high, and the trunk is about an inch thick.

Does anyone have any idea as to how long it takes before the white begins to take over from the wood colour?

Janet Galpin 13-05-2006 01:32 PM

Betula Jacquemontii

The message
from dlrodgers contains these words:

I have planted a 3-4 year old tree and it isn't showing any signs yet of
the magnificent white bark on the trunk. The tree is growing well and is
about 10ft high, and the trunk is about an inch thick.

Does anyone have any idea as to how long it takes before the white
begins to take over from the wood colour?

It will probably begin to peel patchily and become more white each
season. Pretty good by six years in my experience.

Janet G

dlrodgers 16-05-2006 04:46 PM

It will probably begin to peel patchily and become more white each
season. Pretty good by six years in my experience.

Thank you Janet, I shall keep looking.

Lee and Kath 21-05-2006 10:21 AM

Betula Jacquemontii

On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:46:37 +0000, dlrodgers wrote:

Janet Galpin Wrote:
The message
from dlrodgers
contains these
words:

I have planted a 3-4 year old tree and it isn't showing any signs yet
of
the magnificent white bark on the trunk. The tree is growing well and
is
about 10ft high, and the trunk is about an inch thick.

Does anyone have any idea as to how long it takes before the white
begins to take over from the wood colour?

I planted an ordinary silver birch and for 4 years thought that I'd been 'had' but once
the trunk reached 2 inches across, the bark started to peel.

What a relief - I hope you really enjoy your fantastic tree.

Kath