GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   small brown 'cacoon' ?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/144055-small-brown-cacoon.html)

NC 14-05-2006 10:08 AM

small brown 'cacoon' ??

Found a couple of these in the garden this morning. Buried a couple of
inches down, about half an inch long, a little rinkly, look pretty tough
and a light chocolate brown colour. It may have riggled a little - or it
could have been too early for me ! Any ideas what they are ?? Could try
and get a pic online, but I'd have to find them again first ! Should I
be worried at infestation of something nasty ?

Sue 14-05-2006 03:39 PM

small brown 'cacoon' ??

"NC" wrote in message
Found a couple of these in the garden this morning. Buried a couple of
inches down, about half an inch long, a little rinkly, look pretty
tough and a light chocolate brown colour. It may have riggled a
little - or it could have been too early for me ! Any ideas what they
are ?? Could try and get a pic online, but I'd have to find them again
first ! Should I be worried at infestation of something nasty ?

Possibly some kind of moth pupa?

--
Sue

La Puce 14-05-2006 06:46 PM

small brown 'cacoon' ??

NC wrote:
Found a couple of these in the garden this morning. Buried a couple of
inches down, about half an inch long, a little rinkly, look pretty tough
and a light chocolate brown colour. It may have riggled a little - or it
could have been too early for me ! Any ideas what they are ?? Could try
and get a pic online, but I'd have to find them again first ! Should I
be worried at infestation of something nasty ?

Where did you find them? Which plants was the closest? Check the list
below and tell us which one you've found :o)

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/insects.htm

storm 15-05-2006 10:24 AM

small brown 'cacoon' ??

I've got one of those too, I think it might be a puss moth.
Dop you have any willow in your garden, they love it!

NC 15-05-2006 11:17 PM

small brown 'cacoon' ??

La Puce wrote:
NC wrote:

Found a couple of these in the garden this morning. Buried a couple of
inches down, about half an inch long, a little rinkly, look pretty tough
and a light chocolate brown colour. It may have riggled a little - or it
could have been too early for me ! Any ideas what they are ?? Could try
and get a pic online, but I'd have to find them again first ! Should I
be worried at infestation of something nasty ?

Where did you find them? Which plants was the closest? Check the list
below and tell us which one you've found :o)

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/insects.htm

Looks like one of these little guys
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/moth.htm
Thanks for the link. Looks most like the pic on the page you linked to,
rather than the one on the link I have posted.