GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Friend or Foe?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/144059-friend-foe.html)

JennyC 14-05-2006 12:20 PM

Friend or Foe??

I found several bugs on a baby (beech?) tree in the garden.
They are eating the leaves and there is also an infestation of what looks
like woolly aphid on the tree.

Cause for panic?
Remedy?

Pics at http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/oddsandsods.htm

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

K 14-05-2006 03:19 PM

Friend or Foe??

JennyC writes
I found several bugs on a baby (beech?) tree in the garden.

Don't know about the bugs, but I don't think it's a beech. Leaves aren't
quite delicate and smooth enough.

They are eating the leaves and there is also an infestation of what looks
like woolly aphid on the tree.

Cause for panic?
Remedy?

Pics at http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/oddsandsods.htm

--
Kay

JennyC 14-05-2006 08:04 PM

Friend or Foe??

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

JennyC wrote:
I found several bugs on a baby (beech?) tree in the garden.
They are eating the leaves and there is also an infestation of what looks
like woolly aphid on the tree.

Can't find what your bug is ...!! Do you think it's a flea beetle?

That's it Puce!

Cause for panic?

Maybe if it's what I think it is.
Remedy?

Saute them in omelette?! g

Seek and detroy mission completed. Several of them ended up under my
boot.......plus I've washed all the wooly aphid stuff of. Will keep a vigil
for the rest of the wek :~)

Jenny

JennyC 14-05-2006 08:05 PM

Friend or Foe??

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from K contains these words:

JennyC writes
I found several bugs on a baby (beech?) tree in the garden.

Don't know about the bugs, but I don't think it's a beech. Leaves aren't
quite delicate and smooth enough.

I agree. It looks like either hazel or alder. The first is far more
likely to have seeded accidentally in a garden, and very likely to be a
host to sucking insects.
Janet.

Indeed - hazel it is. Self sown in a pot on the roof garden !
Jenny