GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Man Holes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/144114-man-holes.html)

Mel 15-05-2006 01:38 PM

Man Holes

My Son has moved to a modern house with two man holes stuck right in
the middle of his lawn the lawn that was laid is all weeds and very
uneven, the gardenis very small.Think I might take up the lawn and
re-do but what do I about these man holes, any ideas? They need the
garden to be child friendly. Does anyone know a link for garden
layouts?
Thanks

Klara 15-05-2006 02:09 PM

Man Holes

In message . com, Mel
writes
My Son has moved to a modern house with two man holes stuck right in
the middle of his lawn the lawn that was laid is all weeds and very
uneven, the gardenis very small.Think I might take up the lawn and
re-do but what do I about these man holes, any ideas? They need the
garden to be child friendly. Does anyone know a link for garden
layouts?

We have a couple in the front. We have large decorative flower pots on
them, surrounded by cobbles - everything can be moved off if necessary
for servicing.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Broadback 15-05-2006 02:18 PM

Man Holes

Mel wrote:
My Son has moved to a modern house with two man holes stuck right in
the middle of his lawn the lawn that was laid is all weeds and very
uneven, the gardenis very small.Think I might take up the lawn and
re-do but what do I about these man holes, any ideas? They need the
garden to be child friendly. Does anyone know a link for garden
layouts?
Thanks

Sooner or later access to these manholes will be necessary. Perhaps a
circular bed of gravel on and around them then a nice pot in the centre,
this can be easily removed when required. I assume that you still want
a lawn.

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.

p.k. 15-05-2006 02:41 PM

OT Trivia: Man Holes

Mel wrote:
My Son has moved to a modern house with two man holes stuck right in
the middle of his lawn the lawn that was laid is all weeds and very
uneven, the gardenis very small.Think I might take up the lawn and
re-do but what do I about these man holes, any ideas? They need the
garden to be child friendly. Does anyone know a link for garden
layouts?
Thanks

OT Trivia.

Are there Manholes or Inspection holes?

How do you tell the differenence without taking the cover off?

pk

MikeCT 15-05-2006 03:46 PM

Man Holes

"Klara" replied:
We have a couple in the front. We have large decorative flower pots on
them, surrounded by cobbles - everything can be moved off if necessary for
servicing.
----

My wife and I also have two 1½ ft. diameter manhole covers at the side
of our back garden lawn and two more in the front garden, plus a water
meter cover! We too have large flower pots on the back garden covers
and have two low growing bushes artfully concealing the two out the front.
We have lived in our present house for one year and nine months and as
yet, no one has asked to inspect or service the drains on our property.

MCT

JennyC 15-05-2006 04:26 PM

Man Holes

"Mel" wrote in message
ups.com...
My Son has moved to a modern house with two man holes stuck right in
the middle of his lawn the lawn that was laid is all weeds and very
uneven, the gardenis very small.Think I might take up the lawn and
re-do but what do I about these man holes, any ideas? They need the
garden to be child friendly. Does anyone know a link for garden
layouts?
Thanks

Thought - would it be possible to make them look like stepping stones in
gravel (instead of the lawn)
You could perhaps get/make some round concrete shapes in various sizes and
scatter them about in a gravel bed. Placing a couple on the offending MH
covers at the same time?

Jenny

JennyC 15-05-2006 04:27 PM

Man Holes

"Broadback" wrote in message
Mel wrote:
My Son has moved to a modern house with two man holes stuck right in
the middle of his lawn the lawn that was laid is all weeds and very
uneven, the gardenis very small.Think I might take up the lawn and
re-do but what do I about these man holes, any ideas? They need the
garden to be child friendly. Does anyone know a link for garden
layouts?
Thanks

Sooner or later access to these manholes will be necessary. Perhaps a
circular bed of gravel on and around them then a nice pot in the centre,
this can be easily removed when required. I assume that you still want a
lawn.

Or this "~))
http://www.prankplace.com/manhole.htm
Jenny

[email protected] 15-05-2006 04:47 PM

OT Trivia: Man Holes

p.k. wrote:
Mel wrote:
My Son has moved to a modern house with two man holes stuck right in
the middle of his lawn the lawn that was laid is all weeds and very
uneven, the gardenis very small.Think I might take up the lawn and
re-do but what do I about these man holes, any ideas? They need the
garden to be child friendly. Does anyone know a link for garden
layouts?
Thanks

OT Trivia.

Are there Manholes or Inspection holes?

How do you tell the differenence without taking the cover off?

Manholes need to fit one standard working man??
Insepction holes just need to let you see what is inside?

Des

pk

p.k. 15-05-2006 04:49 PM

OT Trivia: Man Holes

wrote:

OT Trivia.

Are they Manholes or Inspection holes?

How do you tell the differenence without taking the cover off?

Manholes need to fit one standard working man??
Insepction holes just need to let you see what is inside?

Nope!!

pk

Bob Hobden 15-05-2006 05:09 PM

Man Holes

"Mel" wrote
My Son has moved to a modern house with two man holes stuck right in
the middle of his lawn the lawn that was laid is all weeds and very
uneven, the gardenis very small.Think I might take up the lawn and
re-do but what do I about these man holes, any ideas? They need the
garden to be child friendly. Does anyone know a link for garden
layouts?

You can buy recessed manhole covers specially made for your problem that you
can plant with turf, or block paving.
See... http://www.pavingexpert.com/recess01.htm
You would only see the thin edge then.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Klara 15-05-2006 06:09 PM

OT Trivia: Man Holes

In message .com,
writes
Are there Manholes or Inspection holes?

How do you tell the differenence without taking the cover off?

Manholes need to fit one standard working man?? Insepction holes just
need to let you see what is inside?

Des

Manholes to fit a man? Tut tut, that's sexist! People-holes!!! ;-))

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

p.k. 15-05-2006 06:21 PM

OT Trivia: Man Holes

Klara wrote:
In message .com,
writes
Are there Manholes or Inspection holes?

How do you tell the differenence without taking the cover off?

Manholes need to fit one standard working man?? Insepction holes just
need to let you see what is inside?

Des

Manholes to fit a man? Tut tut, that's sexist! People-holes!!! ;-))

Traditionally man-holes are round and inspection covers rectangular.

Why?

pk

BAC 15-05-2006 08:10 PM

OT Trivia: Man Holes

"p.k." wrote in message
Klara wrote:
In message .com,
writes
Are there Manholes or Inspection holes?

How do you tell the differenence without taking the cover off?

Manholes need to fit one standard working man?? Insepction holes just
need to let you see what is inside?

Des

Manholes to fit a man? Tut tut, that's sexist! People-holes!!! ;-))

Traditionally man-holes are round and inspection covers rectangular.

Why?

Inspection covers are usually the same shape as the inspection chambers they
cover. Older chambers are usually rectangular, brick built affairs, but
circular ones are found, especially modern plastic ones, and they have
'round' lids, so inspection chamber lids are not all rectangular.

Manholes are traditionally for the purpose of allowing workmen to gain
access to whatever lies below the opening, e.g. sewer, culvert, tunnel,
whatever. The cover, obviously, has to match the frame of the opening. A
possible advantage of a circular cover is it is much more difficult to drop
it through the opening than a square one, but the ones I've seen aren't all
circular, either :-)

BAC 15-05-2006 08:12 PM

Man Holes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Mel" wrote
My Son has moved to a modern house with two man holes stuck right in
the middle of his lawn the lawn that was laid is all weeds and very
uneven, the gardenis very small.Think I might take up the lawn and
re-do but what do I about these man holes, any ideas? They need the
garden to be child friendly. Does anyone know a link for garden
layouts?

You can buy recessed manhole covers specially made for your problem that

you
can plant with turf, or block paving.
See... http://www.pavingexpert.com/recess01.htm
You would only see the thin edge then.

Spare a thought for the poor person who has to lift the 'lid'. Some of those
block paving filled covers are very heavy indeed!