Old 15-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Registered User

Default Begonias and dahlias

Hi

on the 27th of last month planted quite alot of begonia and dahlia corms none of which have thus far shown any signs of growth. Being somewhat new to gardening of this nature (of any nature really) I have no idea when to expect this, however I have also planted iris, anenomes, gladioli, ranunculus, scented lilies all of which have produced shoots plus all of these plants by the way went in the ground after the begonias and dahlias. I hope somebody can reassure me this is normal

many thanks

regards

Simon
Old 15-05-2006, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Simon" wrote ...
on the 27th of last month planted quite alot of begonia and dahlia
corms none of which have thus far shown any signs of growth. Being
somewhat new to gardening of this nature (of any nature really) I have
no idea when to expect this, however I have also planted iris,
anenomes, gladioli, ranunculus, scented lilies all of which have
produced shoots plus all of these plants by the way went in the ground
after the begonias and dahlias. I hope somebody can reassure me this is
normal

You don't tell us where you are Simon but my Dahlias are only now showing
above the soil and my begonias, even in the greenhouse, just didn't seem to
want to start into growth this year which is strange.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-05-2006, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Simon" wrote ...
on the 27th of last month planted quite alot of begonia and dahlia
corms none of which have thus far shown any signs of growth. Being
somewhat new to gardening of this nature (of any nature really) I have
no idea when to expect this, however I have also planted iris,
anenomes, gladioli, ranunculus, scented lilies all of which have
produced shoots plus all of these plants by the way went in the ground
after the begonias and dahlias. I hope somebody can reassure me this is
normal

You don't tell us where you are Simon but my Dahlias are only now showing
above the soil and my begonias, even in the greenhouse, just didn't seem to
want to start into growth this year which is strange.

Our Dahlias just went out last weekend; they were in the greenhouse and
are only just getting going (shoots 6 inches high); seems late this
year. My guess is that if we had planted them out in the open beofre
this, they would not have shown yet.

Des in Dublin

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Simon" wrote ...
[...]

Funnily enough my first begonia was showing this morning, although still no sign of any dahlias. I'm in North Nottinghamshire by the way. Judging by what you say its hardly suprising as I put the corms directly into the ground, they have been nowhere near a greenhouse

regards

Simon

over-wintering nonstop begonias and impatience Ted Gardening 4 23-08-2005 01:58 AM
over-wintering geraniums and begonias Hawkey United Kingdom 1 15-10-2004 11:34 PM
Tuberless Begonias Fleemo Gardening 1 04-12-2003 10:02 PM
Apples, dahlias, begonias, geraniums Amy D'Annibale Lawns 0 14-06-2003 01:32 PM
growing begonias miklol United Kingdom 2 22-01-2003 07:58 PM