GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Aralia elata RIP (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/144135-aralia-elata-rip.html)

p.k. 15-05-2006 04:54 PM

Aralia elata RIP

I've had an Aralia elata in my garden for around 10 years and on in a
client's garden for around 6 years.

Over the past year both have died suddenly (well actually mine is showing
signs of life low down on one of the 3 main stems) I've checked and there is
no sign of Honey fungus and Aralia is a recommended drought tolerant plant.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

pk

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 15-05-2006 05:55 PM

Aralia elata RIP

"p.k." wrote in message
I've had an Aralia elata in my garden for around 10 years and on in a
client's garden for around 6 years.

Over the past year both have died suddenly (well actually mine is showing
signs of life low down on one of the 3 main stems) I've checked and there
is no sign of Honey fungus and Aralia is a recommended drought tolerant
plant.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

pk

I thought that Aralia was fairly frost sensitive and could get cut back by
severe frosts coupled with wet conditions. Perhaps last winter was just too
hard for them.

p.k. 15-05-2006 06:15 PM

Aralia elata RIP

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"p.k." wrote in message
I've had an Aralia elata in my garden for around 10 years and on in a
client's garden for around 6 years.

Over the past year both have died suddenly (well actually mine is
showing signs of life low down on one of the 3 main stems) I've
checked and there is no sign of Honey fungus and Aralia is a
recommended drought tolerant plant.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

pk

I thought that Aralia was fairly frost sensitive and could get cut
back by severe frosts coupled with wet conditions. Perhaps last
winter was just too hard for them.

Good suggestion but the olive, loquat, euphorbia melifera and melianthus
are all still happy!

pk

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 15-05-2006 06:56 PM

Aralia elata RIP

"p.k." wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"p.k." wrote in message
I've had an Aralia elata in my garden for around 10 years and on in a
client's garden for around 6 years.

Over the past year both have died suddenly (well actually mine is
showing signs of life low down on one of the 3 main stems) I've
checked and there is no sign of Honey fungus and Aralia is a
recommended drought tolerant plant.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

pk

I thought that Aralia was fairly frost sensitive and could get cut
back by severe frosts coupled with wet conditions. Perhaps last
winter was just too hard for them.

Good suggestion but the olive, loquat, euphorbia melifera and melianthus
are all still happy!

pk

Me Jealous :-) I've seen all those growing fairly locally with the exception
of loquat. I've never noticed Aralia so there is no one I can get info from.
I hereby admit that I was thinking of other Aralias that are definitely
frost tender.